tunnelling under sidewalk; how to do it?

Because the OP didn't name a location, and Connecticut's CBYD program is an example of WHY the OP should look into it locally. The site also has links to DigSafe, which covers MA, RI, NH,VT, and ME.
Most states have some sort of program like this, and forewarned is forearmed. <G>
Barry
in message

Just ducking under a sidewalk might best be done with a hose and water. You won't cut anything that way.

you should be ducking under the sidewalk with a face like that!
ever hear of erosion dumbfuck.
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:49:57 GMT, Truitt Bottsford III

The city owns the sidewalk and anything under it. If there are wires or pipes run under the sidewalk, then you will be held legally and financially responsible for having them repaired, as well as any damage or loss caused by your carelessness.

The strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street is controlled by the city. A couple of years ago, the city my parents live in decided they wanted to plant trees in *EVERY* yard. My father called to complain and was told that it was city property and he couldn't do a thing about it.
Did he manage to kill off the tree some how? Bags of rock salt around the base of the tree or something?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

Nope, and even if he had, they would have just replaced it and probably fined him for it as well. And since it's all done at taxpayer expense...
Brian Henderson wrote:

Interesting. Who's responsible for keeping the strip mowed?
R, Tom Q.
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:52:57 -0500, Tom Quackenbush

The homeowner and they'll come out and fine you for not doing it too.
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:15:59 GMT, Brian Henderson

You seem to ignore the fact that there may be other sidewalks on a property.
For instance. The city does NOT own the sidewalk going from my house to the detached garage.

So what?
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:15:59 GMT, Brian Henderson

All of the above is not true everywhere!
Our sidewalks are not the city's and the strip between the sidewalk and the street also is not city property! (In fact five feet of the street are mine!)
On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 22:15:59 GMT, Brian Henderson

Sorry...the city doesn't own the sidewalks. I wish they DID! I could have saved a few hundred dollars this year in sidewalk repairs.
They only have an easement on the land.

That's not necessarily true. It depends on where the sidewalk is.
The city generally has an easement from the centerline of the street to so many feet on either side of that centerline. We have a few areas in our city where the front lawn is 100' or so long. The sidewalks are up near the houses...quite a ways from the street. The city doesn't have an easement all the way up to the sidewalk...only a few feet from the centerline of the street.

It is city property...to the extent that they have control of it. But you still need to cut the grass out there...and shovel and repair the sidewalks near the street.
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent

Garden hose with fine nozzle...or pressure washer. It depends a lot on the soil conditions...how far under you want to go, etc.
For instance...you can dig down a foot or so on either side...then use a long handle garden tool (ice chopper, etc.) to make the tunnel.
You can also use a long piece of open pipe...and ram it into the tunnel to catch the dirt and remove it. Then clean the pipe and do it again.
There's all kinda ways.
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 15:38:17 -0600, RB wrote:

I'm taking a guess that you're installing a dog fence.
If you are, I suggest you consider cutting a slot with a standard circular saw and a $3 abrasive blade. Surprisingly quick and easy.
--
The Gnerd

Hire a prarie dog.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus

The cable TV in my neighborhood was installed by sawing a deep slot in the street asphalt adjacent to the concrete curb roll-up.
Drop a cable in the slot and fill-up with an asphalt-like caulking.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |