tunnelling under sidewalk; how to do it?

Page 1 of 2
What's a procedure for tunnelling under a residential sidewalk? I need to run some wires under one, and just wonder what the easy way is.
RB wrote:

I've used a water hose connected to a length of pipe (equal to or greater in length than the width of the sidewalk) with a gate valve on it for on and off, to 'blow' a hole through the soil underneath sidewalks.

1st, you have to "Call Before You Dig". If you skip this step, you can be fined big time, even if you don't break anything.
2nd, you may need a local permit if you're moving onto the locality's right of way, like the strip between the sidewalk and the street.
Call your town or city for the correct info in your case.
Barry
<< 2nd, you may need a local permit if you're moving onto the locality's right of way, like the strip between the sidewalk and the street. >> ____Reply Separator_____ The strip between the sidewalk and the street, have you heard of a word used to describe this strip? I know what it was called in my home town............but I won't mention it yet.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

Parkway.

they like to call it a running track. don't forget to wear your helmet Artie boy!
Is see you picked "another" usual name. everyone hates a "Bill".
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote in

Treelawn.

Boulevard

No. Boulevard is a divide drive. He's looking for what we used to call a "parkway".

It's known as an easement
I didn't see any earlier posts on this but, if your ground is not to rocky you can drive a pipe under it. dig trench leading up to your tunnel 1/2 again wider than the sidewalk and leave yourself a cushion under the slabs and drive a pipe larger than you need so you can use it as a conduit. if the ground is a little rocky use a blunt end cap if not point the tip.
Of course they drive easier using a hoe but you can jack them under as well. WE use the same methods to run utilities under roadways.
Good Luck, tHAT

I think there's a tool that uses water to wash away the dirt as you force the pipe through.
They do have something similar to a pressure washer that cuts the material in front of it. It makes for an extremely messy excavation on a small scale. and also erodes a lot of material. The results are not that great in areas that experience ground frost and heaves. You can pump a grout/slurry back in to fill the unnecessary voids.
tHAT

Try a powerwasher
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comic (TOM KAN PA) wrote:
-snip-

I'm like the "majority of Americans" . From http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0074750.html
They list the regional names for the strip & which regions use them-- but also state, from the American Heritage Dictionary- "To the majority of Americans, the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the street is called simply *the grassy strip between the sidewalk and the street*. However, in some parts of the country, it has acquired specific names."
Jim
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 22:34:11 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Yea right, to run some wires under a sidewalk? You need to call them before you dig your garden too?

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:49:57 GMT, Truitt Bottsford III

If it's the sidewalk next to the street you do.

See the previous comment.
Barry
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 01:49:57 GMT, Truitt Bottsford III

Actually, depending on HOW you're digging in the garden, maybe. <G>
From: <http://www.cbyd.com/faq.htm
Q. Who must notify Call Before You Dig? A. Anyone using power or mechanized equipment who disturbs the earth on or below the surface must call the clearinghouse for a location request Q. If I am hand digging, am I required to notify CBYD? A. No, however, it makes good sense. Utility lines and cables can be easily broken or damaged with a spade, shovel, fence post digger or pic Q. What if I am digging on private property, must I still notify CBYD? A. Regardless if the work performed is on private or public property, CBYD must be notified . Does grading or milling/reclamation constitute excavation? A. YES! Effective March 21, 1997, the CBYD regulations were revised and included milling/reclamation as forms of "excavation". When in doubt, CALL!
Barry
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:50:19 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Whether you have to call or not if you are "hand digging" may depend on where you are located (state) - here it is recommended because of the fact that the things you may hit are not buried too deep in the ground, our telephone lines are only 6-7 inches below the ground in several places between the NIC and the terminal post on the street.
On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:50:19 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Why are you sending a link re: Connecticut regulations?
Wishing you and yours a happy Thanksgiving season...
Trent