TuckPoint pointer

Hello group,

i have a small crack in my chimney top that goes around the circumfrence completely. its a pretty small crack and there doesnt seem to be any loose mortar, it just seems like the crack is about

1/16 of an inch. So what are my choices? Can i buy some cement caulking and fill it, or do i need to grind out the mortar and replace it with new mortar?

If i need to grind and replace, how can that be done? i have one of those 4" hand grinders, can i buy a concrete grinding wheel to use for removing that mortar?

How do i find or mix the new mortar? does it come ready mixed, just add water?

tia for advice.

Fish

Reply to
fish

Is this crack in the mortar joint? the chimney cap? or the brick?

Reply to
Colbyt

that is a good question. i may have a crack in between the cap and the first brick too. but the other crack i was talking about is in the mortar.

Reply to
fish

Here is one we have been using for a few years now. Get the proper color of NP1, it usually ends up being "stone". Apply a good bead of caulk in/on the mortar joint - be skimpy rather than heavy, you can always add more but dealing with too much is horrible. Rub the proper color sand in the fresh caulk.

Sand colors vary a great deal. NP1 comes in several related colors. With a little effort you can execute a repair to a joint that is undetectable to the eye.

DanG

I think DanG has given you the best answer for anything up to about 1/8" wide.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Good question so I got motivated and inspected the chimney again this morning, here is what I saw. I hope my responders are still with me here on this thread...

There is a crack around the entire chimney under the top layer of bricks and under the first line of mortar, the crack is only about, well, less than 1/8 inch.

The cap, i believe, is the cement sitting on top of all the bricks which is shaped to drain water? I hope this is correct terminology. Ok, this cap thing is pretty beat up. after a close inspection I find that the cap is covered with a cement colored rubbery stuff which is also starting to let go of the actual cement cap and surrounding brick, and is getting holes in it from what looks like freezes, at first i thought moss was growing on it but what i think has happened is the top was punctured from water freezing and mold is beginning to grow inside. Anyway I peeked at the cement inside this rubbery coating and it seems to be crumbling, so I am thinking that i need to replace that cap with fresh cement.

So now I think my question is, can I handle this repair? I have replaced cement sidewalks, and have done some small brick wall work. Also, can this repair wait for the spring 2006 to be completed? Will the chimney undergo any irreversible damage over this winter here in columbus, ohio?

Thank you, Fish

Reply to
fish