Tub with waterjets questions

I've called it a Jacuzzi before but I just looked that up on Google and Jacuzzi seems to be a big outside spa. Not what I mean. I mean that thing that looks like a bathtub but has a 1 to 1 1/2 hp motor and blows water in through jets. I'm thinking of replacing my old porcelin tub with one of these and also adding shower piping so I can rip out the stall shower.

Clearly this arrangement will require more maintenance than my (50 year old?) maintenance-free porcelin tub, but just what kind of maintenance is required? I can't see this fiberglass or plastic tub being anywhere near as sturdy, nor can I see a tub that has holes in it being as leakproof as a ton of steel.

Is this something that requires yearly overhauls? Is this a dumb idea?

Reply to
dgk

I have one of those. I haven't had any problems with it. No leaks but don't use it that often as a whirlpool. But it does require access to the motor. My access is through my bedroom closet.

Reply to
ronm

My grandma has had one since the early 80's... no leaks that i've heard about.

I have no idea if it still works.

Reply to
Philip Lewis

dgk wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have one that isn't currently installed. It was given to my by a friend, not too many hours of use on it. I am considering not using it when I update my bathroom so if anyone needs one...

The one knock I heard about them is that the pipes that carry the water to/from the jets need to be sanitized to prevent mold growth especially if they are not used often. You can do this by filling the tub, adding a sufficient amount of bleach and running the jets for a few seconds. Se the mfg. instructions.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Motor access is something I haven't thought about. One side is a firewall, two side leads to outside, three side is the bedroom, fourth side is the bathroom. It best be able to be accessed through side four. Thanks for the tip.

Reply to
dgk

If you order one through a wholesaler, you can get a Jaccuzzi brand whirlpool. When ordering, you can specify motor be mounted @ rear, front, or through side apron, which they will put a removable apron on the side.

Reply to
Gunner

Whirlpool bathtub.

for more ideas.

Reply to
John Hines

I replaced our 20 yr old steel tub with a whirlpool tub unit.

  1. It is as sturdy when installed as directed. Some are set into mortar to make the bottom solid and level. Mine was a high-end tub and has an extremely thick reinforced bottom & sides...no flex whatsoever.
  2. Pump access is usually thru a panel (skirt) that runs the length of the tub fronting in the bathroom. The pump is usually at the end opposite the drain.
  3. You'll need a GFI outlet usually 110volt on its own circuit. I put the GFI outlet in my bedroom, on the other side of the wall from the bathroom. Then I put an outlet behind the tub, downstream from the GFI outlet in the bedroom. That way, if it trips, I can reset it from the bedroom without removing the tub skirt, etc. etc.
  4. Very little in the way of maintenance, outside of some cleaner especially for fiberglass gel coat. And no mold.

We LOVE it...especially my wife who has some arthritis.

Reply to
Curmudgeon

There are some special electrical requirements. In the NEC, they are called hydromassage tubs and dealt with in article 680.

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

Very nice. I think I'll design my bathroom in 3D once I measure things. It doesn't seem to fit the standard designs. 2D would probably be sufficient but I hate sitting on 2D toilets.

Reply to
dgk

SOLD!

Reply to
dgk

Go over to the commercial section, they still make trough urinals.

Which if nothing else, if the wifey can't make up her mind, would be a good thing to suggest, as she will decide on something else PRONTO.

Although one of those urinals, with a plasma flat screen on the wall behind it, would make for a really manly bath next to the media room. :)

Reply to
John Hines

Better double check on your needs, some of the fancier units have a electric heater built in as well, which may need 220v.

IMHO, if your gonna go the distance, you might as well get that, since I'm sure you'd want it, to lengthen spa soak time.

Reply to
John Hines

The jets in my tub have been spewing some kind of dark muck since we bought this house 2 years ago. I've run dishwasher detergent through as recommended 3 or 4 times, bleach, vinegar, you name it. I still get dark muck coming out of the jets.

I did buy some jet cleaner from my pool supply company, made for jacuzzis, I guess today is a good day to try that.

I don't think these things are sanitary. But, I'm one who enjoys a good shower so my whirlpool tub is now a beautifully decorated oasis of plants and candles that looks pretty when we show the house to prospective buyers.

Reply to
ZsaZsa

And you think that is a good selling point??? First thing I'm gonna think is the unit is broken.

Regards,

Harry

Reply to
Harry Rowe

It may be a good time to replace the old fuses with a circuit breaker panel. That should cost quite a bit I would think. And I might need new circuits coming upstairs. I have one of those little houses (attached) where they run the lines outside up a pipe. I think I already have one of those. Maybe a second line can join it?

Electrician, plumber, masonry, carpenter. Anyone I leave out?

I was thinking that I don't really need the heater though. Is there some reason that more hot water can't be let it while a little cooler water is let out? Electrically heating water is more efficient?

Reply to
dgk

What would you expect to see when viewing a house with a whirlpool tub? Someone having a soak with dark muck floating between the bubbles?

The tub is there, it looks lovely, the topic of the muck can come up when I fill out my disclosure form.

That wasn't my point though, it is that I think they are unsanitary, because if I can't get visible muck out of my jets after two years of trying, I'm not a believer that anyone can get bacteria out no matter what they do.

I wouldn't sit in that thing if you paid me. That doesn't mean that our buyer won't. That's up to them.

Reply to
ZsaZsa