Tub Rust Like Stain

I have a white steel tub that was brown, brown when we moved in recently. Today I tried to get rid of the stain and was 80% effective just using plain vinegar (4.2%). It just dissolved away so I assumed that a product like CLR and Lime would finish the job. No such luck. Has anyone had success with easily available products that will finish my job and get me out of installing a new tub! Thanks.

Could try Zud or Barkeep's Friend cleanser. I've seen it so some eyebrow raising stuff to rust. At least if it doesn't work you have a lot of other uses for it. Cheap anyway.
On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:51:57 -0500, John wrote:

How long did you let the CLR/Lime applied?

Not very long. I just really scrubbed it with the CLR. I'll have to fill the tub to stain line and try a long soak, I'll also have to try the suggestion to use bleach.

Have you tried bleach? Fill the tub above the stain an pour some in, let stand overnight.
There are also rust removes that work very well. If the bleach does not work, try one before replacing the tub.
I've also found that drain cleaner cleans a lot of nasties from the tub. If you get the gel type, you can pour it on the stain and the gel will stay in contact with it longer. Also, a lot of people have had decent results with those imitation "Mr Clean Eraser" things.