Tub Fitting in Bathroom

I saw a great thread about replacing a one-piece tub/shower surround. You don't - you get the three piece tub/shower surround and caulk it together. A one piece is generally for new construction where you can get through the walls.

But, here's my question: Our bathroom is about 58" wide. The tub sits opposite the door, taking up the back wall. It's a one-piece surround. We want to replace it with a tub and tile. But...how do you fit a tub fixture that's 58" wide, into a 58" space? From corner to corner it's wider than 58", and it's not just a plank - the depth of the tub makes it so you can't just shove it in.

So how do you get it in? It seems to be that you'd need to take out the wall to get some wiggle room. And hope there aren't tricky beams in the way. I'd appreciate any thoughts on the matter.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Derr

Assuming we are talking about using an acrylic tub as the replacement you destroy the old tub in place and take it out in pieces. Then you cut a hole in the wall opposite the faucet from the next room, cut one stud or even two and slide the new tub through the hole. Actually you should make sure by cutting the hole in the wall before you destroy your told tub.

Once the new tub is in place you repair all the damage. Cutting one stud in a wall is not going to create a problem even if it is load bearing. If you have to cut 2 use temporary bracing. Before you do all this measure the actual tub you will be using. There may be enough wiggle room without doing this.

Frame house with siding you may be able to come in from the outside wall. I have actually placed a one piece tub in old construction this way (the wall need extensive repair due to rot from a leaky window and/or tub anyway).

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt