tub filler rough is crooked

We are remodeling a bathroom and have found that the rough in copper pipe for the tub filler spout is crooked. We took out the copper piece and it's straight, so the plumbing inside the wall is crooked. When facing the wall while standing in the tub, itís visually off center. When we try to put on the filler spout over the copper piece, we are left with a big gap on the bottom and itís tight against the tile on top. Any ideas? We can not tear out the tile.
Also we have not found the ďtrickĒ to putting it on correctly. We when we are finished screwing the tub filler on, itís facing up instead down into the tub. Whatís the trick?
Thanks in advance,