Tub Faucet Replacement

I need to replace a Tub faucet in an older home (built in '71) - How do I remove the old one? I assumed it was threaded on but I can't turn it. I'm afraid to put too much pressure for fear of breaking something.
Thanks in advance.
Leo wrote:

Faucet? You mean the tub spout where the water comes out? Some have a set screw (allen) underneath which locks it to the pipe. Others are threaded on and removal *can* result in broken pipes. This is one area where experience counts.
Jim