Tub drains slow

I do not seem to be able to remove the stopper. It turns freely when up and
have no grip when down.
Is there a common trick to remove the stopper?
Is it standard practice to go in from the overflow column?
I do not see a cleanout access anywhere close to the tub.
Thanks
Mauro Gaetano

There are at least 3 different styles of pop up stoppers out there. Some have a lever that requires that you take out the 2 screw in the overflow and remove the lifter before you take out the stopper.
Give us a clue or a brand name and someone can give you the right answer.
--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.