Tub drains slow

I do not seem to be able to remove the stopper. It turns freely when up and have no grip when down.
Is there a common trick to remove the stopper? Is it standard practice to go in from the overflow column? I do not see a cleanout access anywhere close to the tub.
Thanks Mauro Gaetano
MG wrote:

If you use a snake, go in from overflow.
You can also use a ShopVac on the drain (stopper) opening if you stuff a wet rag in the overflow opening. (If the clog is past the trap, this won't work as the suction will go up (down) the vent.)
Tub drain clogs can be very difficult. Often the clog is far from the trap.
Jim