Tub Drain Leaking

Our drain plug in our main bathroom tub is corroding and is not making a tight seal, as a result, it will not hold water for very long, it slowly leaks out. The plug is a turn and pull/push setup.
My question, can this metal drain, the ring the plug sits into, be removed and replaced?
What is involved with doing this?
Thanks, Steve
Add pictures here
✖

It isn't real easy and not a great project for a first timer. First determine if you can access that end of the tub from the other side of the wall it abuts. With the pipes in view you should be able to get some notion of what parts you will need. Off to the box store, then, for supplies and tools. If you opt for professional help at this point, take credit for saving some of the labor already. Removal of the old corroded parts may well take some special tools. Try Ace Hardware or a good plumbing supplier if you have one that will sell to the public. At this point you're on your own, since we can't see your situation for specific tips on proceeding. But good luck nonetheless.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖

Yep.
The hard part is often the access underneath. One of these helps quite a bit:
http://www.hometownstores.com/detail.aspx?ID@267&ovchn=GGL&ovcpn Že%20Hardware&ovcrn=Tub%20Drain%20Wrench&ovtac=CMP
You might find this helpful:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2214210_replace-tub-drain-plunger.html
JK

Add pictures here
✖
SteveC wrote:

The quick fix would be to remove the drain plug and replace it with an old-fashioned rubber stopper. If the drain plug is corroded you may be able to replace it. Check with a local plumbing supply store.
Add pictures here
✖