TSP & Diswashing powder

The two soap dispensers on my dishwasher contain 5 tablespoons each of diswashing powder.

Assuming 1 tbsp of TSP per load, the proper ratio then is 10:1

So you get a big mixing bowl, measure out the diswashing detergent and add

1/10th that amount of TSP. Mix thoroughly. Mix some more. Put the mixture back in detergent container*.

If you are of the opinion that only 1 teaspoon of TSP is appropriate for a load of dishes, then the dilution factor should be 30:1 (1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons).

---------

  • Cut an "X" in the top of the now-empty detergent box, using a funnel, pour your mixture back in the box. Heal the "X" cut with duct tape.
Reply to
HeyBub

It's a litle more than opinion. The water hardness and and other factors will affect the amount of TSP required. Your numbers are a good starting point though.

Reply to
Robert Neville

its far easier to just add a little TSP to each load.....

Reply to
hallerb

I was assuming that one filled the dispensers with powdered or liquid detergent then flung a teaspoon or tablespoon of TSP into the bowels of the machine. In so doing, the ratio would be 10:1 (or 30:1).

Reply to
HeyBub

Is owning half a machine like having that cow with a window in its belly so you can see what it's eaten and how far along it is in digesting it?

Reply to
mm

One dispenser dumps its contents as you close the door. The other on the subsequent wash cycle.

Not thinking on the project much, I had been broadcasting the TSP additive into the machine just before closing the door which, of course, limited its action to the first wash cycle.

UPDATE

To the process of adding TSP to your dishwashing detergent. The previous method required measuring the quantity of detergent in a new box to calculate the amount of TSP to add to obtain the proper ration (10:1 -

30:1).

You need not measure the amount of detergent that goes into the mixing bowl cup-by-cup.

You can measure the box.

Multiply the length x width x height in inches to get the total cubic inches of detergent. There are almost 0.07 cups per cubic inch. So, if you have a box that's 10 x 3 x 10", you have 300 cubic inches of stuff or 300 x 0.07 =

21 cups.

For a 10:1 addition, add a scosch more than two cups of TSP to the mix.

Reply to
HeyBub

boxes are frequently not completely filled.

"contents may have settled during shipment"

Reply to
chaniarts

Hmm. Perhaps it's YOUR water that's really bad (i.e., fuming nitric acid).

Both the box of detergent AND the manual that came with my machine say to fill both containers.

Reply to
HeyBub

I put ONE cup in my 75oz box and it works just fine. Not sure what the volume ratio is....

Reply to
Steve Barker

The two soap dispensers on my dishwasher contain 5 tablespoons each of diswashing powder.

Assuming 1 tbsp of TSP per load, the proper ratio then is 10:1

So you get a big mixing bowl, measure out the diswashing detergent and add

1/10th that amount of TSP. Mix thoroughly. Mix some more. Put the mixture back in detergent container*.

If you are of the opinion that only 1 teaspoon of TSP is appropriate for a load of dishes, then the dilution factor should be 30:1 (1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons).

---------

  • Cut an "X" in the top of the now-empty detergent box, using a funnel, pour your mixture back in the box. Heal the "X" cut with duct tape.

==============

As well as water quality, dosage might depend on what brand you use. Some products labeled "TSP" can be less than half that. Savogran's is like 80%, might be ok except I don't know the safety the other stuff in it. Here's one place to get the pure stuff:

Nelly

Good point. Here's a link to the Material Safety Data Sheet:

Looks like only one other ingredient - Sodium Sesquicarbonate, which is a water softener that enhances the detergent action. The MSDS is rather funny - can be used as a food additive, diaper rinse and leather tanning product.

"It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"

Reply to
Robert Neville

Absolutely! I've got a spray bottle on my desk labeled "TSP - Ready To Use" and, in fine print below: "Phosphate-free"!

Reply to
HeyBub

Is the package marked "pTSP", or some silly marketeering nonsense? I bought some "pTSP" some time back (all that was available in the area). The 'p' meant "pseudo".

Reply to
krw

With all this talk of phosphates from TSP being harmful to the environment, how about phosphates from lawn fertilizers. Is this the next thing to be banned? On the other hand, no environmentalist have been raising hell over this. The amount of phosphates from lawn fertilizers must have been overwhelmingly greater than that coming from dishwasher detergent before the ban in 2010. In addition, phosphates from dishwashers are sent to a treatment plant. Lawn fertilizers eventually leaches into the streams and lakes directly.

Reply to
Edge

I've been trying to find triple-superphosphate for my lawn. The Cooperative Extension here says my lawn is in dire need of it (10 lbs per 100oft^2 of

0-45-0). I tried to find it last year but I was a bit late, so couldn't even order it. The lawn never really greened up (third year for Zoysia sod). They also suggested 3lbs/1000ft^2 of nitrogen (34-0-0 equivalent) every two months. Not sure I want to mow every other day, though.
Reply to
krw

te:

pro lanscapers likely have the ability to buy it.....

over time the publics ability to buy anything is being slowly curtailed.

if that happens to be the high nitrogen fertilizer used to blow up the murra federal building thats why its hard to impossible to buy

Reply to
hallerb

But what happens with the pellets? If you put it in the second dispenser, all you have for the first cycle is hot water.

If you put it in the first dispenser, for the second cycle, just hot water.

The boxes say to put the pellet in the "main dishwashing detergent dispenser" but they don't say which one that is.

Okay.

Reply to
mm

What is all this stuff about adding tsp anyhow? Why? Tri-sodium phosphate? I thought it was for walls.

Reply to
mm

Nah, Nitrogen is easy to get. 34-0-0 is standard issue lawn fertilizer (100-0-0 might be an issue ;-). I need Phosphorus but can't get it because of the watermelons.

Reply to
krw

Phosphates were removed from diswashing detergents last summer. Dishes are not getting sparkling clean as a result. Food sticks to fork tines, flatware is smoky dull, dried scum is abundant.

Adding a smidgen of TSP to the wash restores the luster, the gleam, the other-worldy beauty to otherwise lifeless eating utensils and dishes.

It's a miracle.

Reply to
HeyBub