TSP & Diswashing powder

Page 2 of 2
Bob F wrote:

Hmm. Perhaps it's YOUR water that's really bad (i.e., fuming nitric acid).
Both the box of detergent AND the manual that came with my machine say to fill both containers.
"HeyBub" wrote in message
The two soap dispensers on my dishwasher contain 5 tablespoons each of diswashing powder.
Assuming 1 tbsp of TSP per load, the proper ratio then is 10:1
So you get a big mixing bowl, measure out the diswashing detergent and add 1/10th that amount of TSP. Mix thoroughly. Mix some more. Put the mixture back in detergent container*.
If you are of the opinion that only 1 teaspoon of TSP is appropriate for a load of dishes, then the dilution factor should be 30:1 (1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons).
--------- * Cut an "X" in the top of the now-empty detergent box, using a funnel, pour your mixture back in the box. Heal the "X" cut with duct tape.
============= As well as water quality, dosage might depend on what brand you use. Some products labeled "TSP" can be less than half that. Savogran's is like 80%, might be ok except I don't know the safety the other stuff in it. Here's one place to get the pure stuff: http://www.cqconcepts.com/chem_tsp.php

Good point. Here's a link to the Material Safety Data Sheet: http://www.savogran.com/Information/TSP_MS.pdf
Looks like only one other ingredient - Sodium Sesquicarbonate, which is a water softener that enhances the detergent action. The MSDS is rather funny - can be used as a food additive, diaper rinse and leather tanning product.
http://www.hillbrothers.com/msds/pdf/n/sodium-sesquicarbonate.pdf
"It's a floor wax AND a dessert topping!"
Nelly wrote:

Absolutely! I've got a spray bottle on my desk labeled "TSP - Ready To Use" and, in fine print below: "Phosphate-free"!

some "pTSP" some time back (all that was available in the area). The 'p' meant "pseudo".

With all this talk of phosphates from TSP being harmful to the environment, how about phosphates from lawn fertilizers. Is this the next thing to be banned? On the other hand, no environmentalist have been raising hell over this. The amount of phosphates from lawn fertilizers must have been overwhelmingly greater than that coming from dishwasher detergent before the ban in 2010. In addition, phosphates from dishwashers are sent to a treatment plant. Lawn fertilizers eventually leaches into the streams and lakes directly.

I've been trying to find triple-superphosphate for my lawn. The Cooperative Extension here says my lawn is in dire need of it (10 lbs per 100oft^2 of 0-45-0). I tried to find it last year but I was a bit late, so couldn't even order it. The lawn never really greened up (third year for Zoysia sod). They also suggested 3lbs/1000ft^2 of nitrogen (34-0-0 equivalent) every two months. Not sure I want to mow every other day, though.
On Feb 21, 8:01pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

pro lanscapers likely have the ability to buy it.....
over time the publics ability to buy anything is being slowly curtailed.
if that happens to be the high nitrogen fertilizer used to blow up the murra federal building thats why its hard to impossible to buy

Nah, Nitrogen is easy to get. 34-0-0 is standard issue lawn fertilizer (100-0-0 might be an issue ;-). I need Phosphorus but can't get it because of the watermelons.

Watermelons? It that the bunch that's green on the outside and red under the covers? With a sprinkling of blacks scattered uniformly in the main body?
HeyBub wrote:

Bob F wrote:

Huh?
I didn't bring up the subject and I take umbrage at your suggestion!
In fact, I remember well what my grandfather used to say: "You don't have to be colored to like watermelons."