Trying to get rid of dirt

I tried Craigs list Trash company won't take it. Any ideas how to get rid of it ? I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ? The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed. The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep. Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in the lawn.

I appreciate your ideas

Reply to
desgnr

Advertise it on CL as "two yards of clean fill."

Jon

Reply to
Jon Danniken

And freecycle?

I expect that'd work, providing it's not in direct contact with the deck

- although you might get problems with weeds trying to grow through the boards at a later date, I suppose.

Bury it. ;-)

Or, take a little bit with you in your pocket every time you go to wal-mart, and shake it out onto the floor when nobody's looking. If caught, claim that you've been trying to tunnel out of the place for

*years*.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

desgnr

Craigslist.

Please don't top-post.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Not sure why you think anyone's interested in a list of your computer stuff.

Now, about that dirt: In 35+ years of gardening, I've read just about every treatise there is on making new planting beds. I don't recall reading anything about removing soil. Put it back. It'll settle over time.

If you got this "remove the dirt" idea from a written source (printed or online), what was that source? Got a book name or link to the article?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

desgnr

Please stop putting your responses on top.

You use a claw-type hand tool to whack as much soil off the grass clumps as you can. It's a pain in the neck, but it's part of the job.

You can also use a spade to cut pieces of the grass into manageable size, lift them with a pitch fork, and shake until most of the soil is gone.

Unless it's been disturbed, the soil has distinct layers. The part you're trying to get rid of is extremely valuable in terms of fertility and important microorganisms. This is why "turning over the soil each year" is a bad idea. You don't want to disturb the layers.

JoeSpareBedroom

=3D=3D People pay a fortune for good topsoil and this guy wants to get rid of it? He is making a big mistake. Now his "flowerbeds" are made up of the poorer sub-soil and are now lower than the surrounding grass. A good rain and everything gets flooded out. He needs a short course in gardening. Many gardeners like raised beds for flowers. =3D=3D

Reply to
Roy

From your other reply I gather this is more like sod than dirt? If so, get most of the dirt off the roots and back into the garden. Then put the sod back in the garden upside down. Let the sun kill the bare roots. Give it some time killing any grass that happens to survive before starting the garden. Keep tearing apart the sod as it dies into small pieces. Cover it if rain is forecast. Should be ready in 3-4 weeks.

Reply to
Tony

Bury it.

Reply to
LSMFT

I don't remember him saying this was top soil. In a lot of places the backfill around houses is far from a useful top soil and that is why people dig it out when they want a flower bed. He could have 2 yards of clay and rocks.

Reply to
gfretwell

He also didn't say that it was NOT top soil. He said this:

"How would i get the grass off without any dirt"

It's usually a good idea to read the whole thread before jumping into the fray.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Put it in your front yard in a pile and put a free dirt sign on it.

Then also put a notice on craigslist.org (your city) and in the for sale/free area. Stick your address on there. Say you will remove the posting when the dirt is gone. Best if you can show a picture of the dirt as people on craigslist can be quite deceptive. The picture will show it is good dirt and not concrete chunks or a pile of rocks or just a few shovels full.

Reply to
Bill

Craigslist garden section, too.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Especially such damned inferior computer stuff...

Reply to
Doug Miller

It's also a good idea to trim away all those useless quotes that had no bearing on your reply.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Only inferior if you insist on using M$ Windows. Compared to my current Linux box, that's a smokin' hotrod!

nb

Reply to
notbob

Reply to
don &/or Lucille

Doug Miller wrote the following:

Get a f**kin' life! Is your whole raison d'etre to keep people from top posting?

Reply to
willshak