Trying to get rid of dirt

Page 1 of 3

I tried Craigs list Trash company won't take it. Any ideas how to get rid of it ? I wonder is there any negative reasons to puting it under my deck ? The amount of dirt i have is were i dug it to make a flower bed. The area is 200Sq. ft. by about 3 inches deep. Another idea is to spread it out on my lawn & run over it with my Toro mulching mower ,do you think that would work ? Would the dirt disolve in the lawn.
I appreciate your ideas
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
desgnr wrote:

Advertise it on CL as "two yards of clean fill."
Jon
What is CL ?
---

Craigslist.
Please don't top-post.

What is top post?
---

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 17:06:19 -0230, "don &/or Lucille"
I know what top is, but where is the post? Is it a Post Office or a Fence Post? How come they never have fence posts at the post office anyhow?
By the way, what is dirt?

Doug Miller wrote the following:

Get a f**kin' life! Is your whole raison d'etre to keep people from top posting?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Miller posts some worthwhile stuff. And at this point in the discussion, we've established that the OP isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer, so thrashing him/her/it seems appropriate.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:
Does that give him the right to dictate how others should respond? Did you have trouble figuring out to whom I was responding?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Since I agree with him, the answer would be yes.

ksa uoy od yhW .oN
JoeSpareBedroom wrote the following:

tniop ym devorp uoy nehT
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

That we can adjust the rules of writing any way we want, even to the point where they're annoying to everyone except a few cranks?

Take your meds.
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 09:38:28 -0400, desgnr wrote:

And freecycle?

I expect that'd work, providing it's not in direct contact with the deck - although you might get problems with weeds trying to grow through the boards at a later date, I suppose.

Bury it. ;-)
Or, take a little bit with you in your pocket every time you go to wal-mart, and shake it out onto the floor when nobody's looking. If caught, claim that you've been trying to tunnel out of the place for *years*.
cheers
Jules

Not sure why you think anyone's interested in a list of your computer stuff.
Now, about that dirt: In 35+ years of gardening, I've read just about every treatise there is on making new planting beds. I don't recall reading anything about removing soil. Put it back. It'll settle over time.
If you got this "remove the dirt" idea from a written source (printed or online), what was that source? Got a book name or link to the article?
How would i get the grass off without any dirt
---

Please stop putting your responses on top.
You use a claw-type hand tool to whack as much soil off the grass clumps as you can. It's a pain in the neck, but it's part of the job.
http://www.sulis-health.co.uk/sulis/images/copper/taurus_3claw.jpg
You can also use a spade to cut pieces of the grass into manageable size, lift them with a pitch fork, and shake until most of the soil is gone.
Unless it's been disturbed, the soil has distinct layers. The part you're trying to get rid of is extremely valuable in terms of fertility and important microorganisms. This is why "turning over the soil each year" is a bad idea. You don't want to disturb the layers.
http://nesoil.com/properties/horizons /

== People pay a fortune for good topsoil and this guy wants to get rid of it? He is making a big mistake. Now his "flowerbeds" are made up of the poorer sub-soil and are now lower than the surrounding grass. A good rain and everything gets flooded out. He needs a short course in gardening. Many gardeners like raised beds for flowers. ==

I don't remember him saying this was top soil. In a lot of places the backfill around houses is far from a useful top soil and that is why people dig it out when they want a flower bed. He could have 2 yards of clay and rocks.

He also didn't say that it was NOT top soil. He said this:
"How would i get the grass off without any dirt"
It's usually a good idea to read the whole thread before jumping into the fray.