trying to fill pool/softener recharging

So the previous owners of the house closed the pool before we moved in, and in doing so, they lowered the water level in the pool quite a bit. (The pool guys who came ot open the pool yesterday explained that this was not necessary and showed me how to avoid doing this when we close it.)
We have a water softener, and as I'm trying to fill the pool, the softener wants to recharge every couple of hours, which is becoming tedious and it's going to take me a couple days to get the water to the correct level at this rate! Can I just turn off/unplug the softener, then recharge it when I switch it back on? It's a Kenmore unit, and I can't really find anything in the manual addressing this issue.
Thanks for any advice. Unfortunately, there were a couple holes in the pool cover and the water is filthy, so it's going to take some time to get the pool swimmable as it is and I'm anxious to get it filled so I can move on to filtering, etc.
Karen

Yes, and you really don't need soft water in the pool anyway so it is not abig deal. The rest of hte house will have hard water during this time though.
Sometimes it is just easier to have the pool water truck come and dump a load in.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I already took my shower, and the ac guys are in the utility room, so I can't really do laundry or anything big anyway.

I looked into it, and they wanted $75, which the water dept lady actually talked me out of because our water is only like $2.50/1000gal, but I may reconsider that if I need to do this in the future.
Thanks
Karen

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 14:19:23 +0000, dkhedmo wrote:

Does the softener have a bypass lever on the back of the tank with the plumbing going into it? Should be right where the water lines attach if it has one. If so, just move the lever and bypass it until you done.
Meat Plow wrote:

Thanks, I'll check that out, maybe i missed that page in the manual?
Karen

Are you hose bibs on a softener?! If so, I venture to say the lawn irrigation may be as well.... soft water is not good for my pool or my lawn.
-- Oren
dkhedmo wrote:

Your hose bibs should be on non-softened water lines.
There should also be a bypass valve external to the unit for "service" mode.
Rob