Trying to change this lawn tractor tire

Someone once said that trying to take a tire off of a little lawn tractor wheel is like pulling teeth....through the anus. I think they are right.
So what's the trick? I can easily break the bead but getting the bead off is a task. I thought my tire changer would do it but then I found that the 4" tire is too small and the tire changer can't grab it. Doh!!!!
Then I see this tool from Notherntool.com for small wheels but then it says you need a minimum of 5cm hole in the wheel! That's quite a large hole for a small wheel. Then they have another tool for like $400!
So what is the trick? Just use multiple tire irons and soap and water? I messed with it for half an hour - I'll try more tomorow. The key here is how to do without damaging the wheel.
Have you considered leaving it on the wheel and putting a tube in it? Or is it a serious wear problem you're trying eliminate?
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

The tires are worn out. I need to replace them.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Another option if you're not saving the tire is a hack saw. Saw the durn thing in half. The tire that is, not the wheel. <G>
--
Steve Barker

<poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
That's exactly what I thought at first....but then the stuborness kicked in! I had to figure out how to do it.
For future reference for anyone looking at the same problem: I tried again today and it took me about 5 minutes per wheel. Use lots of tire lube around the bead and two 12" tire spoons. It reminded me of an Indiana Jones movie: you can screw around with it for awhile and then all of a sudden you move it just right and it pops off.
Putting the new ones on remains to be seen.
Steve Barker wrote:

A good pair of vice grips clamped right on the edge of the rim will help keep that new tire bead from "chasing" you around the rim.
--
Steve Barker

<poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

For the four inch wheels, I don't even try anymore. I was able to actually get them off and on with four tire spoons and lots of soapy water. Actually didn't lose too much blood either, but it took all day. Now I take mine to the local John Deere dealer and pay the $8 to have it changed for me.
--
Grandpa

There's no reason to fight with it. Take it to the super-wally tire center and let them do it.

I fill them with slime....once I have the bead tight...I pump that stuff in...and have haad good luck.
I even put it in the inner tubes. I fact..I think you can buy 4 inch inner tubes with slime in it.
Thank
Bill J.A. Michel wrote:

On 15 Jan 2007 19:55:34 -0800, poison snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Getting the tire OFF isn't the hard part. You just need an appropriately sized hole and a BFR. Getting it back ON is the tough part.
Got a vise? Clamp the rim into the vise what ever manner you have to. THEN pry the beads over the short offset side of the rim. You have to push the bead down to the small part of the rim 180 degrees from where your screwdriver is. This is hard to explain in words. I could show you in about 3 and a half seconds and it would be off. If you don't have a vise, the next best way to hold the rim is to leave it attached to the mower.