Trusses

I'll take your word on that but generally it's not good practice to do that but that doesn't mean it can't be done. It generally means heavy plates and more nails to carry the additional stresses.

Reply to
under construction

Agreed temporary in so far as it can be removed but it doesn't have to be. Regardless, it still has to be designed for as a bending stress in the chord member.

Reply to
under construction

I meant to say not heavy plates but "thicker" plates. My bad.

Reply to
under construction

With a perfect splice, S = bd^2/6 = 1.5x7.25^2/6 = 13.1 in^3 and M = fS = 13100 in-lb and W = 8M/L = 8x13100/(12x24) = 365 pounds of total load, ie 15.2 pounds per linear foot or 11.4 psf on 16" centers, if I did that right.

So maybe we need more than a perfect splice, eg a kingpost or a truss or a wall under the middle.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

Yep, "bottom chord of an attic truss" is what I am referring to. Your link is precisely what the contractor is using. After reading these posts, I obtained the diagrams from the truss company, and it appears they can bear 60 psf (40 live load, the rest I'm assuming dead load).

Thanks.

Reply to
themamayada

Yep - bottom chord of an engineered attic truss from a truss company. After reading your post, got the truss company to send over the engineering diagrams - turns out it can support 60 psf (40 ll + remaining dead load I'm assuming). Wasn't required for our permit, but I'm sure the building inspector will be happy to see it in writing.

Thanks.

Reply to
themamayada

You need to learn to read a spec sheet. The bottom chord is designed for a 10 psf live load (note 9).

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

That's for the bottom chord as a whole. For the room area (10-12) live load is 40 psf. Wouldn't meet code in most places if it wasn't. Again, attic trusses have been in use for many years. I gotta wonder how much experience you have if you've never seen them.

Reply to
marson