Trucker question

I'd like to know how much weight a 45 foot storage trailer will hold on the front pads. Would it hold the total rated weight of the trailer? I would imagine that totally loaded trailers must swap tractors at times. I've got 4 cords of wood in my now, mostly over the back wheels but intend to put in a couple tons of wood pellets and more wood.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I don't know the exact rating, but it is possible to drive a 6,000 pound forklift on the front to pick up 4400 pounds on pallets. Just be sure the pads are on something solid, not muddy ground.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Sinking in the ground will be the problem, not the front jacks (or whatever they are called) collapsing. Look at the size of the pads at the bottom, and figure 1/3 to 1/2 half the total weight of trailer and load is sitting on them. Back on the construction sites as a kid, we always put a layer of heavy timbers side-to-side underneath when the trailer was dropped, on dirt, gravel, or asphalt. On concrete, not so much of a problem.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

"Total" rated weight, not possible...unless you can levitate rear... :)

They'll certainly hold half plus the design safety factor which is probably 2-3X so, yes, you can count on have a fully loaded trailer on the jacks (assuming, of course, they're in fully functional condition).

As others noted, what you need is to be sure you've got adequate surface to set it on (including what happens if it rains a foot while sitting there, etc.).

--

Reply to
dpb

They are sitting on pressure treated planks that are sitting on gravel. they are not going anywhere.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Well if they sink all the way down to the frame, I'll just jerk the back wheel assembly out and set her down.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

they are intended to hold the capacity of the trailer equally distributed. Also, keep in mind when they load those trailers, there is an 8000 lb forklift running up to the front of the MT trailer whilst sitting at the dock. You have no worries.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Well that's a relief. I've got about 20,000 lbs in there now, mostly over the hind 8 wheels. Only sank about an inch on the springs. I intend to add another possible 10,000 lbs., some in the front. I balance the load on the left and right stacking wood from the rear up to the ceiling toward the front leaving a walkway in the middle for my garden tractors and motorcycles and some pallets of pellets in the front.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

Agreed. I've seen more than one heavily loaded trailer sink the landing dollies through blacktop.

Reply to
Tony Sivori

Think ahead, too. Gonna come a time when you might want to get that bad boy out of there. If it is sitting on good ground, or timbers, or whatever, it's gonna be a lot easier to move than if it is stuck in the mud.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Probably many, many times that, on level ground, wheel chocked and "landing gear" in good condition.

Generally speaking, the landing gear is 0.25" steel box, on edge, and the landing pad pins about 0.75" solid steel.

Landing gear almost always fails under heavy loads when the load leaves plumb orientation.

If you need to move your load on public roads you'll want the front half to be at or under about 22.5K. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman