Truck Complaints

Hey everyone. I am new to posting at this forum but I have browsed here for quite a while.

I had to post to complain and to ask for advice. I have had my 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 for only a year and it has been nothing but problems! I am fed up with my Chevy and I am thinking about a Ford or maybe even a Titan. I am starting to do a lot of research online about the different trucks and I would love your advice or thoughts on which truck I could use to replace my problem plagued Chevy.

No offense to you Chevy owners out there, I just happened to have had a bad experience and I don't want to deal with it any more.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Reply to
meow76

Chevy makes good trucks so I cant say you will have better luck. What is wrong.

Reply to
m Ransley

Is the piece of crap still under warranty?

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Move out of the the truck, and rent an apartment. At the very least, buy a ford E350 High-Cube Van.

But really, trucks don't make good homes, even when they're in good repair.

Reply to
Goedjn

Actually, Chevy's in the business of making money, and not too good at that. Wonder why's that.

IMHO, you'll see much better reliability and durability from Toyota or Nissan. Not to mention the option of much lower fuel consumption.

John

Reply to
barry

meow - I have been a loyal Chevy guy since 1987 (S-10, Full size blazer, suburban, Silverado). I have never had major problems. I have bought new and I have bought used. Last new was in '02, a Suburban. Hang in there, they will make it right. You most likely will not have issues forever.

This might be a better post to alt.autos.4x4.chevy-trucks

Don't just post a rant there unless you don't want solutions.

You post would be best if you listed problems, their solutions and any outstanding problems. Ask for advice, don't just whine. If you have made up your mind that you are going to roll the thing off a cliff then whats the purpose of posting other than to bash Chevy?

Tell you what - I will trade you my ultra reliable '00 silverado (Z-71, 4x4, step side, ext cab, sb) for your problematic '05 silverado. Even up.

Reply to
No

That's a comforting thought. ROFL! Other than what most people would call "standard preventative maintenance", he should be having major problem in the first few years, and certainly not in the first year. And, the past history of someone else's vehicle is completely irrelevant.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Yea, I agree that major problems shouldn't be part of a 1st year of a vehicles life (I assume thats what you meant). But, I suspect that his dealer fixed them and now he is just wary. If all goes well he should be fine. He may not though. Who knows. Chevy does not have systemic problems, sometimes you just have a convergance if issues. A bad Electrical/computer could manifest itself in many ways. The OP didn't say what his problems were (Except a follow-up where he said "transmission, electronics went bizerk etc." They could all have been related or maybe not.

Anyway - I am a little curious at the OPs driving habits too. Did he follow the break-in procedure or was he all on the gas all the time. Was he off-road?

If he wants to sell it at a significant discount I would buy it. His loss, my gain. I understand his frustration.

Reply to
No

I understand that my issues are 'probably' isolated and I just got unlucky but the last poster had it right--I am just wary now about Chevy. I am not Chevy bashing, I think I have tried to make it clear that I am not saying EVERY Chevy is like mine. I just got a bad one...and I wanted to hear what people had to say about other trucks.

BTW, I did follow the proper breaking in procedures and I don't work my truck too hard. I am not a "gear head" so I don't know all the specifics what went wrong with my truck. When something breaks and I get stranded, i take it to the dealership and I have them fix it.

Reply to
rmitton

I would suggest that you start analyzing what they tell you, so you understand the repairs more completely. Bring questions here or to the chevy truck newsgroup someone mentioned in an earlier message.

Dealers tend to have idiots for service writers, and they treat the customers like idiots, too. You rarely get to speak to a mechanic, either. If the same problems keep happening, it would be a good idea to get a second opinion about the attempted repairs from an independent mechanic. Ask neighbors & co-workers for referrals. If you were in Rochester NY, I'd give you the name of a place you'd love and never leave. Hint: I drive 20 miles for oil changes, although there are a half dozen shops within 2 minutes of my house.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

I have a 2004 F150 The first American ( can't say made anymore) based CO. vehicle I've bought in 20 years. It's the top of the line lariat 5.4 Trident engine. I have not had one problem with it, but I just turned 7,000 miles on it. I have had four Toyota pickups still have a 96. There was no comparison to the full size Toyota and the F150 IMO. But now hears a thought GM & Ford are closing their plants laying off 60,000 plus employees. So do you think there not going to increase there out of country production, so where do you think the quality of their Vehicles' will go.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Toyota Tundra.

Reply to