troubleshooting --- no electrical current

Here's the scenario: The bathroom light does not work. The problem must be a blown fuse, the light switch, or the florescent light fixture. Upon a closer look. I found both the circuit breaker and light switch to be okay. I also discovered that there's no electrical current coming from the 2 wires that are connected to the switch. So what do you think is the problem is?

Reply to
sam_lee_usr

Here's the scenario: The bathroom light does not work. The problem must be a blown fuse, the light switch, or the florescent light fixture. Upon a closer look. I found both the circuit breaker and light switch to be okay. I also discovered that there's no electrical current coming from the 2 wires that are connected to the switch. So what do you think is the problem is?

Reply to
sam_lee_usr

Break in a conductor someplace between last feed point and the switch. Is there power the switch? Is the feed through the switch or the fixture? Either way, you've lost a feed or ground connection at the last point in the chain prior to where you're testing.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Have you tried a new bulb? How did you verify that the switch is good? Are you getting 110 volts at both terminals of the switch and can you make one terminal (the one going to the fixture) go to zero by turning the switch off, or if you shorted both sides of the switch does the light come on? Not advocating that you do this if you're not experienced dealing with electricity. How did you determine that there was no electrical current? MLD

Reply to
MLD

The breaker may be off, but it may look like it is on. Many breakers, when they trip, to not move to the "OFF" position. Try turning the breaker in question OFF and then ON again.

Ignoramus12555

Is there a GFI in line?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
barbarow

Check if thers a GFI outlet in the bathroom somewhere and make sure it's not tripped.

Reply to
Mikepier

Check for a GFCI outlet that's tripped, either in this bathroom or another location upstream, eg another bathroom.

Reply to
trader4

Or a couple of others, but you covered most of them.

Exactly how did you check them?

Exactly how did you check that.

Normally there will be two wires to a switch, but to determine if they are live, you need to compare them to the other side of the circuit. Both wires at the switch are the same as one wire on the light, but not the other. They should be black or red. The other side should be white.

As I said there are many other possibilities including odd in wall wiring that may have failed. Tracking down more than you said you checked could be difficult and would be unusual and maybe dangerous to even look for if you don't know what to look for and how to stay safe.

So let us know more about how you checked what you checked.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

problem

How many wires are in the box that the switch is mounted in?

As others have said, probably GFCI tripped...

Reply to
Rick

burned out bulb?

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman

How do you know the CB and the switch are OK?

Electrical current is amperage. To get current, you need a load. Voltage is what most folks read with a VOM. You can read voltage if there is no load.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon