Troubleshooting a small LCD TV

We have a Zenith L15V26D TV in the kitchen. It crapped out yesterday. We were watching it, and it simply lost power. It can't be turned on by the button or the remote.
Of course I checked the GFI outlets first, then I measured 120 VAC in the power cord itself.
Should I bother? Or is it just done for? Is it worth taking apart and checking fuses?
I don't really want to shell out for a service manual if it's just plain dead.
Mitch@_._ wrote in

depends; how old is the TV,what level of electronic troubleshooting skills(and tools) do you have? How much are you willing to spend?

how old is the TV? It may be electrolytic caps gone bad(ESR).
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

I should have mentioned: it's about 4 years old.
As far as my skill, I can do simple troubleshooting with a multimeter, and I can do basic soldering, replace caps, stuff like that.
I was hoping that over the past 4 years small LCD's would have come down in price more than they have, but it seems they're still not "dirt cheap." So if it's a fried power supply, it may be worth repairing.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Mitch@_._ wrote in

well,the electrolytics in your TV may be surface-mount caps. Those need a bit more skill than thru-hole parts. Those SM caps don't seem to be lasting as long as the thru-hole style aluminum electrolytics used in older stuff.
It's probably some bad caps in the switcher power supply,preventing it from starting.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Mitch@_._ wrote:

I don't think a service manual will tell you much.
If both sound and picture are out, the problem's probably with the power somewhere.
I'd probably fuss with it an hour or so... it might be as simple as a blown fuse or fusistor.
On Jan 1, 10:51am, Mitch@_._ wrote:

Maybe a fuse inside thats bad, my 25 yr old tv works fine and one new one I got was bad day 1. Open it up and check it out.
On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 10:51:56 -0600, Mitch@_._ wrote:

How old? About 1-3 years? Open it up and look at the electrolytic capacitors on the power board. You will likely find some with bulged tops.
Replace all the electrolitic caps with new ones and it will likely work just fine. I've done LOTs of monitors with the same problem.