Troubleshooting A/C

All,

Just wondering if someone out there could toss me a few ideas as to what might be up with our air conditioning system.

We have a 3 thermostat home (a zoned system). The master bedroom is always getting colder than the other rooms. Our electric bills have been in the 500 hundred dollar range so this problem is starting to hurt our wallet. I recently replaced the thermostat in our master room and that has not helped at all. The master bedroom still gets real cold (even when I have turned that thermostat off). So, I turned off all the thermostats in the house and it got hot. So then what I did was went upstairs and turned on only that thermostat - my master bedroom is cold again.

So, what could the problem be? My wife and I are clueless but our theory was that since we only have 1 physical a/c unit outside there has to be a distribution center upstairs that divides where air is going to the 3 different zones in our home. Maybe one of the doors is stuck open. So, when the upstairs is cooling, its not only cooling off that room (which is natually hotter since its an upstairs type bonus room) as opposed to our master bedroom which is on the first floor. Does our theory make any sense? Please help

Chuck

Reply to
charlesjsmith

Well, you probably have motorized dampers that control where the air goes, and it sounds like one of these may have failed. But, I can't see it from here, so it would be a good idea to get a competent AC tech to come out and diagnose/fix the issue.

Reply to
One-eyed Pirate

Thanks for the post. I will do as you say.

Chuck

Reply to
charlesjsmith

Window A/C. I bought one - for just the bedroom - two years ago at Walmart. My AC bill dropped from $240/month to $70. Why cool the whole (or a large part) of the house for eight hours while you sleep?

Reply to
HeyBub

Window units or ductless split systems work well to save bigtime on cooling costs! I have a Half-Ton room A/C that cools over 900-sq.ft. in +104 Heat Indices! - udarrell

udarrell

Window shakers can be noisy. That's my complaint.

Reply to
HeatMan

They also are not terribly appealing aethetics wise.

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Or aesthetics-wise. *grin*

-- Todd H.

Todd H.

Yes, makes perfect sense. Time to call an AC service company.

Also, dirty coils on the outside unit can drive up your electric bill. Please ask to have the condensor cleaned.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon