Trouble with Water Heater- I think SOLVED

Water *is* getting too hot! I'm glad the shutoff works as this is a Marathon (plastic.) My log says the same thing happened in 2002 and I changed both thermostats. Looks like the answer again. Any comments? Thanks. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

You are probably correct. The only thing that will make water get to hot is the element staying on. Stuck stats can do that.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thre is one other thing I know of that will make the water get too hot and that is if the elements get blown apart. The electricity will get in the elements and heat up. As only one side of the line is usually broken by the thermostat, the other side puts 120 volts into the water.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

might be a tank full of crud, if the tank isnt ancient i would replace both thermostats and elements,

if the tank is really old just save yourself the hassle and replace it.

new tanks have much better insulation

Reply to
hallerb