Trouble starting portable generator

I bought a new gasoline-power generator from Grainger last year, filled = it up and tried it - worked fine. Then I covered it up for winter (on = an outside patio). This week I unwrapped it to check it out and could = not get it started. Plenty of gas, still looks like new, everything = moves. Just won't fire. Any ideas on how to get the things going = again? I have a fair amt of experience with auto engines and lawn = mowers but this one has me stumped.

Sam

Reply to
Sammy bin Snoozin

Sam

Damage from mice?

Reply to
NapalmHeart

Fresh gas & clean the plug, for starters (no pun intended).

Reply to
The Streets

on 11/24/2007 2:19 AM Sammy bin Snoozin said the following:

and tried it - worked fine. Then I covered it up for winter (on an outside patio). This week I unwrapped it to check it out and could not get it started. Plenty of gas, still looks like new, everything moves. Just won't fire. Any ideas on how to get the things going again? I have a fair amt of experience with auto engines and lawn mowers but this one has me stumped.

Make sure the on/off switch is on, the gas valve is open, and the choke is set. If all is done and it still won't start, pull the air filter off and squirt some starter fluid (or carb cleaner) into the throttle body and give it a try. A year old, seldom used generator should not have ignition problems, so it's more likely the fuel system. A generator can go unused for years, so adding some fuel stabilizer will help.

Reply to
willshak

give it a shot of b12 down the carb. Just sounds like you need some enrichment. Those automatic chokes are worthless.

Sam

Reply to
Steve Barker

Well if you covered up your car for a year it likely would not start.

Gasoline does not keep well. A year is really too long for gasoline powered motors to be reliable.

You might get by by adding stabilizer (made for gasoline) to fresh gasoline. You might make it a year, maybe two.

If you want reliability, I would suggest keeping the generator dry (no gas in it) and keep your fuel in a separate container. Then maybe four times a year dump the unused fuel in your car and buy new. That way you will always have fresh fuel. Any time you use the generator, empty out as much fuel as possible and then run it dry. I would suggest running it at least twice a year and change the oil once a year even if that is the only time it is run.

A better idea is to get a Natural Gas powered generator. You also might look at propane generators. They don't have the problem with stale fuel gasoline models have.

In short a generator is not a set and forget tool. You need to maintain it.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First find out if it is a spark problem or a fuel problem. Easiest is to feel the spark and put an unlit propane torch in the intake. Even with no fuel it should run ;)

nick hull

Small squirt of ether on the air cleaner filter. If it runs for a few seconds, you have a fuel system problem. If it starts and runs, you have old, stale gasoline that doesn't have the power to start the engine. I've had both happen to small engines.

In my generator box, I have a quart of oil and a spray can of ether. For just these moments.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have the same problem every year. After fiddling with it for a while (under the worst conditions) I find that I either did not turn on the electrical switch or the gasoline pet c*ck, or both!! By the time I get it going my shoulder is just about shot. On the few occasions that I remember to turn everything on, it starts on the first pull of the rope.

Ivan Vegvary

Sam

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

If you are still having trouble, the guys over at alt.energy.homepower my be able to give you some help.

Sam

Reply to
JohnnyC

For my generator which I use for power outages...

I got a siphon gizmo at the auto parts store.

When done using the generator, I siphon the gas out of the tank, then run it until it runs out of gas.

Every few months, I pull the pull cord a couple of times.

Then when I need the generator, I fill it back up with gas (fresh) and it starts right up.

Reply to
Bill

I take an hour to store any small engine I won't be using for a while. Part of it is just regular maintenance.

  1. Run the engine out of gas. If you can easily get to the carburetor, drain the last few teaspoons of gas out of the carburetor bowl.
  2. Change the oil. If it only has a few hours on the last oil change, you can skip this step, but sludge settles out of you let an engine stay cold for months. It's best to store it with clean oil in the crank case.
  3. Pull the spark plug and squirt a little light machine oil into the cylinder. Roll the piston over a few times to evenly distribute the oil. This is also an excellent time to inspect the spark plug. Clean and gap a dirty plug, or just install a new one. When you replace the plug, turn the crank shaft until the engine comes up against compression. That way you know the valves are closed.
  4. Service the air cleaner.
  5. Bag the exhaust tightly. I use a plastic sandwich bag and a rubber band. I started including this step after dauber wasps decided the muffler was a great place to fill with mud.
  6. Store in a dry location.

To start the engine, all you have to do is add gas, uncover the exhaust, and pull. They will usually start on the second pull. The only problem I have ever had was several years ago, when a carburetor float stuck wide open and flooded the engine. I just picked the engine up a couple feet and dropped it on concrete, which shook the float loose. If you are not an amateur weight lifter, you can tap the carburetor a couple times with a hammer, or pull the bowl and flip the float with your finger.

Reply to
Larry Caldwell

I run my generator for 15 minutes under full load on the first of every month.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

I don't test run mine quite that often but when one of these generator threads pops up it prompts me to do so - just did - works fine ;)

Frank

Reply to
Frank

On the engines where I can easily get to the carburator, I add these steps:

- take the bowl off

- spray out the bowl with spray carburator cleaner and set out to dry

- spray out the jet; on most engines the jet is part of the bolt that holds the bowl on

- spray up into where the jet goes in.

- if I can find it, hit the idle jet feed too

Once they all dry out, put the bowl back on. No more worries about dried up gasoline building up year after year.

--Snipppage--

I had that happen on my rototiller and I didn't realize it right away. Gasoline was leaking out where I couldn't see it and before I noticed it, the gas lit off. It must have been a spark from the ignition. A panicked few moments before I grabbed the fire extinguisher out of my camper. After cleaning up the extinguisher powder and fixing the stuck float, all was OK with the engine. It still works fine two years later.

Reply to
Matthew Beasley

and tried it - worked fine. Then I covered it up for winter (on an outside patio). This week I unwrapped it to check it out and could not get it started. Plenty of gas, still looks like new, everything moves. Just won't fire. Any ideas on how to get the things going again? I have a fair amt of experience with auto engines and lawn mowers but this one has me stumped.

Check the oil. Some of them have a low oil cut off.

Reply to
Tony Goldenberg