Tripped Circuit Alarm

Recently my circuit breaker for the garage outlets tripped unbeknownst to me. Needless to say I lost some yummy items in the freezer. I?ve Googled for very search terms but haven?t found a battery-powered alarm I could plug into an outlet in the garage. The alarm would beep when there was no voltage to the plugs.

Does anyone know if there is such a device and where to buy it? Any other solutions ideas or products posts would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

Google again! Put "freezer alarm" in quotes. Most alarms sense rising temperature, rather than power supply status, and therefore cover all causes of temperature rise, not just input voltage level.

Reply to
Roger

Thanks for key words Roger!

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation. -- WCF

Darrell

I would check freezer startup current draw. Is it possible it is going bad or the cold is affecting it.

Reply to
m Ransley

GFCI's are not designed for motor loads. They are designed to protect living creatures. Replacing the GFCI with an 20 amp outlet MAY help.

Adding an single outlet non GFCI for the freezer off the existing circuit or better add an circuit for the freezer will be an better solution.

Reply to
SQLit

He's not asking about GFCIs or breakers. He's asking about some sort of small alarm unit that can be plugged into an outlet that would sound if the power was lost at that outlet/circuit. It doesn't matter whether a freezer, refrigerator, air cleaner, lamp or whatever else is plugged into that outlet/circuit. This would be a simple unit with a battery installed. As long as the outlet is live, the alarm would be silent. If the outlet loses power, the unit's battery would sound an audible alarm. The technology is out there to do this (i.e. emergency lights in buildings), but does anyone sell them, or should I get a patent and invent one? If they are already out there, I am interested too.

Reply to
willshak

OK, so I won't become a millionaire by inventing a power failure detector alarm . Halfway down the page

willshak

A relay, buzzer, and small battery to match buzzer voltage. Connected to same out let as freezer. E mail me if you want diagram. Warren

Reply to
Warren Weber

Check out the prices on a UPS at the local computer discount store. Those things make a horrible bleep bleep when the power goes out just make sure you get one that has an alarm, most do.

You can get them on ebay too, just watch shipping costs, $5 price + $25 shipping isn't a good deal.

Reply to
Noble Pepper