Triple or double-paned windows ?

Hello, we are up here in Ottawa, Canada. Any recommendations on the vinyl windows replacement companies - Euro Tech, Solimat ( Costco) or Verdun? Also, is it worthwhile to install triple-glazed instead of double-glazed windows?

Thank you.

Reply to
Lucky

Hi, How old is your house? triple may not fit well if your wall is framed with 2x4. To be proper you need 2x6 frames for triple glazed windows. I am in Calgary. If you compare double to triple on same quality level, triple sames energy for sure.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The house is about 20 years old. In fact, some of the present wooden windows are triple glazed. I am just wondering if it is worthwhile to replace all windows with vinyl and triple. But the more pressing issue is to choose the right contractor. We could not decide which one to use and would like to receive some recommendations or comments on the three that I listed below.

Reply to
Lucky

Replacing wood with vinyl?

What is wrong with the current windows that they need replacing? Are they junk? For a good wood window, 20 years is young. I'm thinking it will be a long time before a replacement would pay for itself. Double or triple pane from 20 years ago were not that bad. You may be able to get most of the better insulation you are presumably seeking by giving the existing windows a tuneup. Adjust so they close tightly, replace any missing or damaged weatherstripping, maybe pull off inside casing and foam the gap between jamb and rough opening. And that would be a whole lot cheaper than new windows, even plastic ones.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

I'm in Manitoba. I installed vinyl triple panes manufactured by All Weather Windows (Edmonton) about five years ago. When the temperature drops below -30 C I will see some condensation along the bottoms of the glass. My neighbor has the gas filled double panes. By the time my windows are sweating, he has ice building up on his windows. Triple pane windows will also reduce the amount of noise from outside considerably. My windows were made for 2 x 6 walls. They are also made for 2 x 4 construction, the returns are narrower. Here's a photo of the place.

LdB