Trimming a door to fit

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 11:39:27 -0700, Daniel Prince

Yes this was poorly written. I should have said,
The objective is to leave a 1/8" gap all the way around the door, maybe a smaller gap in high humidity (summer) and a little wider gap during the low humidly (winter).

Which side of the door should you plane, hinge or latch?
On Jul 7, 9:33am, snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote:

The hinge side may or may not be hidden, depending on the door location. The latch side generally receives a bevel. I'd trim and bevel the latch side at the same time if there's not too much to be removed. Otherwise, split the difference.
Daniel Prince wrote:

You should allow 20 mils (0.020 inches) (500um) for the paint. For really thick paint.
If you figure about half the thickness of a human hair, you'll be close enough.
Daniel Prince wrote: ...

I like Steve's dimensions, too...

You'll need a very good blade; I like to use the plywood/veneer-cutting types so don't split the veneer (hopefully).
The tape may help along the cut line some; for the door itself so the sole plate doesn't leave telltale marks I use a pad on the saw base itself. I have a piece of a thin flexible cooking rolling pad cut to size and use sanding disc spray adhesive to hold it on.
To improvise, a piece of thin cardboard or similar would suffice...

A hand-held power planer from the local rental shop. One tip: practice on some junk 2x4 and also, once you start the run, do not stop until the end. I made the mistake of stopping mid-door and have a little dip in the door at that point.