Trimming a door to fit

The objective is to leave a 1/8" gap all the way around the door, maybe a little less in high humidity (summer) and a little tighter during the low humidly (winter). Panel doors don't move quite as much as lap doors. A door that has an even gap, opens/closes effortlessly, and is level and plumb might take some fussing to get it right. If not, you'll be reminded every time you use it. Make sure the rough opening is plumb on both sides and that the top is level--that will help make an easier installation.

Reply to
Phisherman

A hand-held power planer from the local rental shop. One tip: practice on some junk 2x4 and also, once you start the run, do not stop until the end. I made the mistake of stopping mid-door and have a little dip in the door at that point.

Reply to
Bob M.

Did you mean to write "a little looser during the low humidly (winter)." ^^^^^^?

-- I don't understand why they make gourmet cat foods. I have known many cats in my life and none of them were gourmets. They were all gourmands!

Reply to
Daniel Prince

Yes this was poorly written. I should have said,

The objective is to leave a 1/8" gap all the way around the door, maybe a smaller gap in high humidity (summer) and a little wider gap during the low humidly (winter).

Reply to
Phisherman

Which side of the door should you plane, hinge or latch?

Reply to
powersdov

The hinge side may or may not be hidden, depending on the door location. The latch side generally receives a bevel. I'd trim and bevel the latch side at the same time if there's not too much to be removed. Otherwise, split the difference.

RicodJour