Trim Question

I have a fireplace mantle for a gas fireplace insert which has white trim. It looks a *lot* like the fireplace in this picture:

I'm considering building an entertainment unit for my projection tv, and I'm wondering if I use white MDF and the same trim as my fireplace if it will look good? Or will it cause the room to look oddly consistent....the design for the entertainment unit looks like this:

Imagine that unit in white with the fireplace trim. If anyone knows if this is a bad idea, please let me know...

Reply to
the_wise_elder

The short answer to your question is yeah, they'll complement each other, depending on how big you build each and where they're situated.

Why not remove the fireplace trim and build it in to the bottom (centre) of the entertainment unit.

If you're using a projection tv, likely the screen will come down to

36 inches above the floor.

If you want to watch tv and have the fireplace going at the same time, this won't work ... they should be on different walls.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

It would look just fine but it may also fall apart.

MDF is not a very good material for parts of an entertainment center. It may be OK for doors and trim, but I'd not use it for shelving or anything prone to flexing. Plywood is better for that. MDF is also very heavy!

Have you worked with MDF? Regular wood screw do not hold very well in it. There are special screws/inserts that will hold much better.

Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for all your help guys. I'll have to make some changes to my materials, but the overall design I think is still a go. Thanks again.

Reply to
the_wise_elder