Tricky eBay Transaction

Page 1 of 4
an eBay seller (Code, Camey & Assoc., codecamey.com) listed the following item on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item )0174749827
if this product is purchased for an average size roof, one needs to order around 30 boxes (~ $3,300). PayPal covers only $200 of this purchase.
To install this product, the purchaser also needs matching accessories (valleys, ridges, gables, clips,..) which the seller also supplies - off-line: (Further contact is needed for accessories and freight estimates....).
I have already gone through the bidding process w/ him once before and the seller added the price for accessories to the final eBay purchase price and then demanded WU/bank draft for the entire purchase to proceed w/ shipping. Credit cards not accepted. Any other mode of payment is fine for as long as the money is in his bank before him shipping the product.
Even though it is possible to get matching accessories from another source, it is a good practice to get all as one package to avoid color mismatch and extra shipping costs.
Being risk-averse, I wonder if it is possible to complete this transaction with minimal risk in case this seller is unscrupulous. An acceptable risk would be to pay with a credit card, examine the goods for quantity and defects once received and should the shipment not match the order, being able to dispute (successfully) and reverse the charge. Getting $200 back from paypal and forfeiting $3100 wont work for me.
Any ideas how to go about this?

Your best option is a credit card, either directly or through PayPal. eBay expressly prohibits Western Union transactions. If you bought something through eBay the seller CANNOT require WU. Report him to eBay and use PayPal to complete the transaction. Didn't we already tell you this in a previous thread?
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 11:24:11 -0400, <h> wrote:

- yes, you did. However, your "best option" doesnt work for the seller: a) doesnt accept CC b) paypal covers $200 of the total purchase c) eBay doesnt care what happens outside the bidding theater
Also, previous thread dealt mainly with steel shingles and those users who dont care for steel shingles, wouldnt read it; thus, not comment as to what the "best option" is and how to handle the eBay purchase. Perhaps there are other users who are more eBay savvy than those who commented on steel shingles. And those are the ones I am addressing w/ my question.
This thread deals directly with the mechanics of a specific purchase and its parameters. This thread (question) is not theoretical or general in nature as to what the ideal option is. It is about a solution to a specifically tabled problem. For example, I had offered a partial payment and the balance once I received the goods. The seller didnt accept. What other options are open to me? Other than the one I have chosen so far - not to purchase from him?

Ok, ONE MORE TIME. Use a credit card with PayPal. If you don't receive the merchandise your CREDIT CARD ISSUER will refund your money. PayPal's $200 limit is irrelevant. Your best bet is ALWAYS to use a credit card for any purchase, whether it is directly with the merchant or through PayPal. How many times do we have to tell you this? Sheesh.
On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 12:09:20 -0400, <h> wrote:

And OK, ONE MORE TIME. I told in the previous thread that I took your advice to my bank manager and she told me, in no uncertain terms, that I am on my own and her bank will not reverse the charge because it is in paypal's disclaimer w/ credit card issuers as to what amount they guarantee for each transaction. Who am I going to believe? You or my bank? are you going to be there when I am out $3100 and say sorry, I was wrong? here's the money you're out? If you are ready to guarantee with your own money how my bank will deal w/ paypal, then I am ready to purchase the product on eBay as per your instructions. Are you up to it?

Your credit card is issued by a local bank? Doubt it. You're most likely talking to your "bank manager" about your debit card, which has a MC/V logo on it. Debit cards are a disaster waiting to happen, in that the bank never, ever, has to give you any money bank, since it's money from your checking account.
PayPal is a third-party vendor, and they do not control the terms of your credit card. If you really do have a true "credit card" issued by a local bank which does NOT honor the MC/V guarantees, then you should switch cards. The PayPal $200.00 guarantee is designed to protect people using a bank account to fund the transaction, NOT a credit card.
LAST TIME. As a merchant, I know that no matter the method, if the client doesn't receive something they bought using a credit card, they don't pay for it. Period.
Since you're clearly so afraid of this transaction you shouldn't go through with it. It's probably best that you never buy anything online.
On Oct 26, 1:59 pm, <h> wrote:

Yes. that's right. And who's the merchant in this case? Paypal, because they are the merchant registered with the credit card companies and are in the business of accepting the money via credit card and then forwarding the money on to someone, just as instructed by the card holder. And that is where it ends. The transaction where MC/VISA paid Paypal was legitimate and authorized. Paypal then sent the money where it was supposed to go. End of story. The credit card company is not going to reverse the charge or get involved in the dispute. You think if you use a credit card through Paypal to send $3000 to some Joe Schmoe unknown party, that Citibank is going to make good because the guy took your money and never sent anything? If they did that, the doors to fraud would be wide open, because just about anyone can open up a Paypal account.

You don't have a clue about Paypal. Paypal will cover "x" amount, _IF_ the purchase was made through a legitimate purchase through eBay. eBay owns Paypal.
To open a Paypal account, you need a credit card and/or bank account. You can't have credit through Paypal. It appears by your answer, you think Paypal is it's own bank/credit union or something.
The only end of story in your writing is, you don't have a clue about it.
The doors to fraud are wide open, did you just wake up Rumplestiltskin?

You;re the one who's clueless and giving out bad advice. I know perfectly well that Ebay owns Paypal, so what? Paypal covers buyers for either $200 or a max of $2000 on some, but not all items bought on Ebay. To get the $2000 protection:
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=p/gen/ua/policy_buyer_complaint-outside
seller's eBay feedback rating is at least 50; At least 98% of the seller's eBay feedback is positive; The seller has a Verified Premier or Verified Business Account in good standing; The listing was on an eligible eBay site (eBay.com and certain other eBay sites self identified as such) PayPal is listed as an acceptable payment method; and The seller is a PayPal User from one of the following countries:
Doh! In the case of frugal farmer, the seller only has a feedback rating of 10, so he can stop at the first requirement. So, Frugal is right, he's only covered to a whopping $200. And then go read all the hoops and jumps and the process you have to go to in order to try to collect. And how it only covers tangible items, not things like tickets or licenses for digital subscription content, etc. It ain;t like calling Citibank about your VISA dispute with a merchant.
Funny how the guy asking for help knows more than you. :)
And also if you want to look through the whole thread, the only one that mentioned the possibility of using an escrow service, whcih gives him total protection, was me. Or he could just listen to you and hand over the money via Paypal, thinking he's covered for his $3500.

It appears by your answer that you can't read. My point clearly was that those telling Frugal to pay with a credit card through Paypal and they are protected by the credit card company are wrong. You do understand that Paypal accepts credit cards, don't you and then sends that money to who ever you tell them to? Well, I'll make it clear for you one more time. Let's say you have a VISA with Citibank. You send $3500 to Mr X via Paypal and use the credit card. The stuff never shows up. Citibank will tell you the charge was legitimately submitted by Paypal and it was paid. They will not get involved with your nasty little dispute with Mr X, because HE's NOT THEIR MERCHANT, HE DIDN"T TAKE THE CREDIT CARD. End of story.
Got it now?
.......................... Let's say you have a VISA with Citibank.

=That is not correct.

Yeah, and in typical fashion, 4 words is all you could write. No explanation to back it up required. Well Frugal checked with his bank and that was the answer they gave him and reported in this thread. And I've been down that exact route with Citibank over a Paypal transaction. I knew that was going to be the answer before I even called them.
Why on earth would you expect the credit card company to be responsible? The transaction they engaged in with their merchant (Paypal) was perfectly legitimate. They have nothing to do with the fact that you told Paypal to send the money to someone the credit card company has no contract with and could be any jerk with a Paypal account in some 3rd world country.
If people listen to the clueless like you, they could be hurt badly.
Walk away from deal. If seller won't accept CC and requires Western Union in violation of ebays rules just walk away. Youre asking for trouble. Are you telling us you cannot get shingles from a dealer near by. I'd pay a bit more rather than get ripped for $3k.

On Oct 26, 3:34 pm, snipped-for-privacy@backpacker.com wrote:

I'd like to see where it says in the Ebay rules that what the seller is doing is a violation. He said the buyer wanted either Western Union or bank draft for immediate shipment. If a regular check or similar is used, the seller will ship after it clears. There is nothing in any of that which violates Ebay rules and it sounds perfectly reasonable.

Wrong. If you're an eBayer, you better brush up on rules the rules on circumventing fees.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/listing-circumventing.html
http://pages.ebay.com/help/tutorial/feecirctutorial/intro.html

Did you even bother to look at those links before you posted them? Both those links cover avoiding paying Ebay fees. What does any of that have to do with what is being discussed here which is the claim that a seller requesting cash payment, wire transfer, WU, cashier's check, etc before shipping or else waiting for their check to clear is violating Ebay rules and should be reported. Reported? For what?
You ever even do an Ebay transaction?

Hey bonehead, check the subject line b/4 opening your mouth and inserting feet.
wrote

=Good call. Fee avoidance, alright. Also, his meager 10 feedback are all as a buyer. Did you report this to eBay? =>

"Gini" wrote

No, I didn't. The OP should report it, along with full headers. This seller would be NARU'd in a heartbeat.
"Poppin Fresh" wrote

=I dunno. Ebay is pretty slow to act on this kind of thing. They say they like to see "a pattern" before acting. I wonder how many buyers get screwed while eBay is waiting for the pattern to show up.

And once again, I ask, where exactly is the fee avoidance in this? Please be specific.