Trex - need to wait 12-16weeks?

My new side porch has treads and handrail of Trex, a composite wood.
The Trex website says to wait 12-16 weeks for it to "fade" before staining to get best results.
Any experience here? Really need such a long wait?
Aspasia
aspasia wrote:

No, the manufacturer obviously don't know what they're talking about since it's only their product. Go right ahead.
Geez!! :(

Heh. ;-)
I'd also wait the recommended time. The reason being that "fresh" plastic often has a chemical film (eg: plasticizer) that will wreck paint adhesion. Epoxy does too (West calls it "bloom") if you're not careful [+].
Letting it weather outside for 12-16 weeks will allow time for the film to be eroded/washed away. Abrasion from foot traffic will also cause microscratches that will also help the paint adhere.
You may be able to shorten the time by using a pressure washer and strong cleaning agents, but I'd still give it plenty of time.
[+] If you allow West system epoxy to fully cure before recoating or priming/painting, you're supposed to give it a good scrub with soapy water (and a fine scuff sanding if you're putting on more epoxy). See the West handbook for more details.
--
Chris Lewis,

<aspasia> wrote in message

No, not at all. 85 to 115 days will do just as well.