Trex - need to wait 12-16weeks?

My new side porch has treads and handrail of Trex, a composite wood.

The Trex website says to wait 12-16 weeks for it to "fade" before staining to get best results.

Any experience here? Really need such a long wait?

Aspasia

Reply to
aspasia

No, the manufacturer obviously don't know what they're talking about since it's only their product. Go right ahead.

Geez!! :(

Reply to
dpb

Heh. ;-)

I'd also wait the recommended time. The reason being that "fresh" plastic often has a chemical film (eg: plasticizer) that will wreck paint adhesion. Epoxy does too (West calls it "bloom") if you're not careful [+].

Letting it weather outside for 12-16 weeks will allow time for the film to be eroded/washed away. Abrasion from foot traffic will also cause microscratches that will also help the paint adhere.

You may be able to shorten the time by using a pressure washer and strong cleaning agents, but I'd still give it plenty of time.

[+] If you allow West system epoxy to fully cure before recoating or priming/painting, you're supposed to give it a good scrub with soapy water (and a fine scuff sanding if you're putting on more epoxy). See the West handbook for more details.
Reply to
Chris Lewis

No, not at all. 85 to 115 days will do just as well.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski