Tree stump stuck.

Page 3 of 3

Three 8' 4x4s, a long 3/4" bolt, and a "come-along" - modern implementation of what farmers have been doing for 100s of years. About $50 total.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

3 cubic foot would be easy but I assume you mean 3 cubic yard - that's another story. I've removed many stumps but none close to 3 cy. That would be about 4,000 lbs including the dirt stuck to the root ball and getting this sucker out of the hole would be a major bitch. I've broken a 3 ton and a 4 ton come along, broken a 2 ton engine hoist and worn out a few chains and a new chainsaw on a much smaller stump. I ended up digging down to form a ram, using steel plates as skits and with a come along pulling it out. Good luck.

Just use an ax.
It may take a couple of hours a day for a couple of weeks, but it is cheap and it makes you strong.
PJ

This is Turtle.
First to get the stump out of the ground. If it will move a little and you then can run a chain around the roots and around the whole thing to attach it succurely to the chain. Then attach the chain to your truck and start pulling with small jerks and work up to big jerks. You can pull one way the un hook from it and pull from the other way. You can work it out of the ground and when it comes loose it will come out of the ground.
Now to get it in you truck. Buy you cheap come a long from the hardware store or borrow a come along and drag the stump over to a tree with the truck and then run the chain up and over a limb and the use the come a long to pull it up and then drive your truck under it and then let it down in your truck.
TURTLE