Tree stump stuck.

Page 1 of 3
A tree stump the size of Boeing engine core (3 cubic feet) is in a hole we cannot get out. We dug dirt around the tree stump, cut all the roots but not enough to get a manual saw comfortably in there. The stump moves freely with no obstructions but too heavy for any men to lift out of the hole.
Our neighbor wants our large tree cut down, stump remove. And we spent all our last dime on a branch-trunk cutting crew. Which now leaves us with a heavy tree stump to be put into our large van going to a dumpsite. What are some ways that we could try to get a tree stump onto a flat surface?
Thanks
You say the Neighbor wants it cut down and stump removed? Well if my Neighbor wanted it done I would let them pay for it. Or are we missing your point. It is your land remember, you can do as you wish and only what you can afford. That stump is heavy and wet, your van may not handle its weight
put ad in paper, say free stump for firewood.
might work..

Anyone who bit on that one would either be too stupid to own a vehicle, or would earn himself a Darwin award trying to retrieve the stump... While you might win the $1,000 on America's Funniest Home Videos, it would just give the victim's relatives another $1,000 reasons to sue you.

make em sign a release..
randy

A victim can't sign away his/her relatives' right to sue you. S/he can only sign away his or her right to sue you. This is one of the problems with releases...
You ask, if the victim signed a release, why can his kids/wife sue? Because they lost the utility of having the poor SOB around (lost wages, etc.).

jesus. its christmans. go find something else to do besides dog me with you hypothetical legal mumbo jumbo. go watch some more tv and scare yourself into a frenzy so you're afraid to do anything for fear of lawsuit.
randy
Leroy Mowry wrote:

Maybe it would have been a good idea to just grind the stump and have a large pile of mulch.
--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

large pile of mulch.>>>
The guy I hired to take down some trees did this for me. Grind them down, cover with potting soil, throw down some grass seed and it's done. I used the mulch to tame an overgrown corner of the yard.

Rent an engine lift.
Leroy Mowry wrote:

I'm thinking this would be a good time to contact the producers of the Red Green show ... :)

pieces small enough to remove. It was hard work, but it worked for me.
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:13:37 -0500, someone wrote:

Normally nobody in their right mind chainsaws an actual stump (in the ground) because the smallest amount of earth dulls the chain in seconds, and the stump is quite dirty.
And normally plastic wedges are used while chainsawing. Steel is for spitting already sawn firewood.

to clean the earth off the outside of the stump first. The vast majority of the cutting was on the interior of the stump.
The steel wedges were what I had available and were not left in the stump while the chainsaw was being used. Iterations of cutting and splitting got the stump removed. It wasn't easy work, but the stump is gone.
The best way is to pay a professional to take the stump away.
Leroy Mowry wrote:

I would guess a 3 cubic feet stump wouldn't weigh more than a couple hundred pounds. Not like a 3 cubic feet metal.
Remember how do you get your 20" TV home? It is more than the size of the stump!
Leroy Mowry wrote:

First principles:
1. Get the stump out in one piece. a. Boeing engine hydraulic lifting device b. Big truck and chain c. Kitty-cat, harness, and big-ass whip.
2. Get the stump out in multiple, smaller, pieces. a. Chain saw. Try to sculp something obscene. Time will fly.
If you want to do it the half assed way....
Either make a good old fashion cocktail of napolm (spelling is probabbly off) or just use explosives.
Its ALWAYS more entertaining watching it either blow up or burn down...
Just remember to drill a hole first in the center, place the charge and scream...
FIRE IN THE HOLE!
Tom
JerryMouse wrote:

Are you sure you aren't being victimized by a "tap root" (a root growing vertically downwards from the stump)? The stump will seem to be loose, and jiggle around freely in the pit you've dug, but can't be raised until you tunnel underneath it and cut the last root or roots.
I know what you're going through - A few years ago, after having a couple trees taken down, I spent a few weeks gradually getting out the stumps as time permitted. It wasn't fun.
Art
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 10:33:41 GMT, someone wrote:

worse. You must be underestimating the size since 3 cubic feet of water weighs less than 200 lbs and wood would normally weigh less than water (it floats) for the same volume. Either that or you need more and bigger (make that stronger) men.
When you say it "moves freely" - what do you really mean, that you can rock it back and forth, spin it around a few degrees? A small fibrous root underneath can be strong as a rope, the stump will rock but can't be lifted because it is tied down.
Otherwise, chains, come-alongs (ratchet pullers), jacks, tripod, vehicle, etc. etc. For someone on a "pioneering" project you don't seem very resourceful. Why do you have to remove the stump anyway? How is the neighbor the boss of you?
-v.

Thanks all for the intelligent, proven ideas. The neighbor complains that the roots are damaging their plumbing and that the branches scraping their bedroom roof are just too dangerous. I just got a call from the city saying that they'll take the stump for free if it's pushed to the curbside. I will inspect for the fibrous root underneath again, which we suspect are gone since we rock the stump from side to side (2'). But first we'll move the stump upward a inches or so to get a good view down there. I apologize for the size, as a few posters notice. It's actually nearly 3 ft cubed (27 cu ft) but not 3 cu ft. Thankfully, another poster (Mark) posted photographs identical to my problem. The same driveway, location, fences, dirt, and tools. The only difference is that the stump and dug hole are almost about "two or three times" as great compared to these pictures. http://www.bunchobikes.com/tree.htm
I assume a neighbor may complain if the tree is within a certain distance from their property. Or if the roots of a line tree or neighboring tree cause problems, an owner can abate the nuisance. Civil Code Section 3502. Can anyone advise if I'm interpreting the law correctly? Thanks.