tree roots and my basement

Page 2 of 2
Home Guy;3069204 Wrote: > leza wang wrote:

Elm tree leaves turn yellow in autumnl and fall off in winter. I have several large elm trees not more than 20 feet from my building's foundation, and the only problem I've ever had is that about 10 years ago, the roots from one of those trees discovered my building's 6 inch main drain line, so I had to call a plumber to snake out that line to cut the roots. I was re-imbursed by the city, so I'm not out of pocket anything. However, I have a poured concrete foundation rather than a more susceptible stone foundation.
--
nestork

On Monday, May 27, 2013 12:50:06 PM UTC-4, nestork wrote:

thanks nestork, yes they turn yellow and the trees stay without leafs durin g winter. my house is 90+ years old. i am sure the foundation is also stone . is it possible to pure concrete foundation as you did? does that mean the y dick around the house and then pure concrete? i would love to do that if it is not expensive because that would solve my water leaking problem. than ks a lot once again.
On 5/27/2013 10:05 AM, leza wang wrote:

were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is 80 years old.

and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see these links below and thanks a lot once again.

Well, it is still hard to tell....here is a link to id'ing Ontario trees....perhaps you can find your trees.

g I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledgeabl e.

. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the root s will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is 80 years old.

an go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away . The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

cal

i just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see these links bel ow and thanks a lot once again.

The more I see, the more I agree with the other posters that said a tree doesn't even belong there. And I agree with the poster that said the tree probably wasn't planted, it's just a volunteer and a pretty ugly one at that. If it were me, I'd get rid of it and put something more appropriate in the area. I also wouldn't worry about it getting to the foundation. It could over time push up the pavers and/or crack the driveway or whatever that is next to it.
On Monday, May 27, 2013 10:40:31 AM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

ing I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledgea ble.

on. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scar es me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the ro ots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is 80 years old.

can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters aw ay. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

.

local

nt

. i just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see these links b elow and thanks a lot once again.

Ok thanks a lot for your reply guys. ok i am willing to cut them all and pl ant other tress (for privacy/ enforce my land's boarder), what would be the best choice? i am thinking of Rose of Sharon tree. Thanks a lot.

oping I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledg eable.

tion. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It sc ares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house i s 80 years old.

it can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

lm.

r local

sent

ome

io. i just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see these links below and thanks a lot once again.

plant other tress (for privacy/ enforce my land's boarder), what would be t he best choice? i am thinking of Rose of Sharon tree. Thanks a lot.- Hide q uoted text -

I don't know, but one major factor is that if you cut what's there, it doesn't get rid of the roots. And extracting the roots from that small space between the driveway/street and the sidewalk so that you can plant something else is going to be one hell of a project. I guess taking out a few pavers temporarily if that's what's there would be a big help.
On 5/27/2013 9:05 AM, leza wang wrote: ...

As another said, looks very much like could be a variety of elm -- just how big they can get depends on what the local conditions are and the actual variety. Elms in general tend to be large trees altho there are some that are less large ( :) ) than others. An American (white) elm that is a native species hardy to your region if doesn't succumb to Dutch elm disease can grow to 130-140 ft in height and crown spread of 60-ft or more. So, if that's what they are, they could get large, indeed. (American elm are known to live 200+ yr in good environments so 80 is just a young adult age for one of them.)
As another has also said, in slightly different words, take a few leaves or small twig w/ some leaves on it to a local arborist or good nursery and ask them to identify it for you. In the US there are what are known as "County Agents" that are available to residential folks as well as farm; I'm certain Canada will have something similar but I've no klew as to what their offices will be called...