tree roots and my basement

no flower, nuts etc, just leafs. 3-2 years ago they were 3-5 feet tall now they are doubled. i did cut most of them to half. i do not want them to grow up high and quick. thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

Do the leaves turn yellow and fall off in the winter, or do the leaves stay green all year - even in winter?

Reply to
Home Guy

It's clearly deciduous...and I think likely a variety of elm from the leaf shape/veining pattern but I can't tell which specifically from the pic's...(and that may also be wrong but my best guess).

I say if OP really wants to know to take a sample to an arborist or nursery or whatever their county agent equivalent is.

But, irregardless, it really should come out 'cuz it's inappropriate in the location so it really doesn't matter what it is... :)

Reply to
dpb

Elm tree leaves turn yellow in autumnl and fall off in winter. I have several large elm trees not more than 20 feet from my building's foundation, and the only problem I've ever had is that about 10 years ago, the roots from one of those trees discovered my building's 6 inch main drain line, so I had to call a plumber to snake out that line to cut the roots. I was re-imbursed by the city, so I'm not out of pocket anything. However, I have a poured concrete foundation rather than a more susceptible stone foundation.

Reply to
nestork

thanks nestork, yes they turn yellow and the trees stay without leafs durin g winter. my house is 90+ years old. i am sure the foundation is also stone . is it possible to pure concrete foundation as you did? does that mean the y dick around the house and then pure concrete? i would love to do that if it is not expensive because that would solve my water leaking problem. than ks a lot once again.

Reply to
leza wang

ing I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledgea ble.

on. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It scar es me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the ro ots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house is

80 years old.

can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters aw ay. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

. i just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see these links b elow and thanks a lot once again.

Ok thanks a lot for your reply guys. ok i am willing to cut them all and pl ant other tress (for privacy/ enforce my land's boarder), what would be the best choice? i am thinking of Rose of Sharon tree. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

oping I will get the answer here because many people here are very knowledg eable.

tion. They were small 2-3 years ago. Now they are getting really big. It sc ares me that these tree will get even bigger and bigger and eventually the roots will hit the foundation and cause a lot of problems since the house i s 80 years old.

it can go? and how far the root can go. Right now they are just 3-4 meters away. The following links show the trees. Thanks a lot.

io. i just want to know how big these trees can go.. please see these links below and thanks a lot once again.

plant other tress (for privacy/ enforce my land's boarder), what would be t he best choice? i am thinking of Rose of Sharon tree. Thanks a lot.- Hide q uoted text -

I don't know, but one major factor is that if you cut what's there, it doesn't get rid of the roots. And extracting the roots from that small space between the driveway/street and the sidewalk so that you can plant something else is going to be one hell of a project. I guess taking out a few pavers temporarily if that's what's there would be a big help.

Reply to
trader4