Tree blowed over?

Due to a hurricane?
One tree whiz recommends cranking the tree back to its upright position and guying it in place.
Most of the time it will recover. Pines are especially hardy.
Don't know if this works, but it shouldn't cost much to try...
On 8/29/2011 7:38 AM, HeyBub wrote:

I understand pines are shallow rooted and tend to fall easily in wet soil. They were talking about this on the radio yesterday saying that winds that would normally not knock down a tree could do it to those sitting in very wet ground.

Didn't work with my apple tree which was sitting in very wet soil. Knocked down by a windstorm, we upright it fairly easily with a winch and some bracing. Took for a while, or so it seemed to but got knocked down again - actually it just fell over - in an ice storm that came about six months later. Just as well. They weren't eating apples. They were critter magnets. Might have tried winching it again if it had produced something edible.
-- Bobby G.
-- Bobby G.
On 08/29/11 7:25 PM, aemeijers wrote:

What if it crushes a person when it falls?
A couple of decades ago, when my oldest was still in diapers, I was in my neighbor's yard. His kid was using the slide and I had mine in one of those old fashioned, PITA to get the kid in and out of, rubber child swings. The "bucket style" that wrapped around the kid with holes for the legs.
Our wife's called us in for lunch so I struggled to get my kid out of the swing as his legs got caught like they always did. I went into the house, handed my son to my wife and walked over to the kitchen sink to wash my hands. As I was looking out of the window, a huge branch from the house next door came crashing down and turned the swing set into kindling.
There was no way there would have been enough time between the sound of the crack and crushing of the swing set for me to have gotten my son out of the swing.

Maybe the type pines in your neighborhood but definitely not the pine varieties around here. They are deep rooted and I have never seen one go over from the roots, and that's an observation based upon many hurricanes and tornadoes thru this area. Most often the top portion will break off or twist off but they never blow over.

yup, it happened to 2 trees on my property. (not from a hurricane, just high wind came swooping thru a few years ago).
On 8/30/2011 12:18 AM, RobertPatrick wrote:

I had 2 pines that shattered high, in separate storms 18 months apart (one ice, and one wind). Both of them hit my shed, of course. Good thing I just blacksmithed shed the first time instead of replacing- second time smashed it beyond my skills to unwrinkle. A 3rd pine went down in the second storm, more or less intact, with the root ball pulled out of ground. It was old and sickly and in an inconvenient spot, so I didn't even think of trying to save it. It broke a limb on the apple tree that caught it.
--
aem sends...

Pines are a dime a dozen. And ugly too. Why bother.
Red Green wrote:

Is Enzyte the mayonnaise substitute for people who are having trouble with their bladder? Or is it the rudimentary 3D-modeling machine for cookie dough?
I forget.

It's a floor wax.
On 8/31/2011 6:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz wrote:

And a dessert topping!