Tree as a fence post?

Hi, I have a tree that is growing directly on the property line between me and my neighbor. It has grown quite a bit over the years to the point that it has now dislodged the fence out of position(before it directly against on my side of the fence). So now somehow I'm going to have to build the fence around the tree. Is it possible to use the tree as a fence post? Will it hurt the tree?
Thanks in advance
Earthsunmoonmars wrote:

Ihave trees with wire that is now eight inches in. No I don't think it will hurt it. Then again different trees who knows.
Kevin
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:12:38 -0500, Kevin French wrote:

Yup, I've seen too, but if the tree ever has to come down, I wouldn't want to be the one on the chainsaw.

BTDT got the T-shirt more times than I care to remember. Costs much filing to get the teeth back in shape.
Harry K
Amen to that. The previous owner of my property allowed small trees to grow up next to the fence, enough that the barbed! wire got embedded. It was only about an inch in, so I was able to chisel a notch to free the wire, before I tried cutting the tree down. Time consuming!

On 30 Oct 2003 00:43:15 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Earthsunmoonmars) wrote:

Trees and property lines are an endless source of contention. And litigation. I would do some research on the legal rights and responsibilities involved. While you and your present neighbor may agree now on the arrangements you make, this could become a problem when or after either property is sold.
I don't think the tree will make a good fence post since it will continue to grow over time. Put fence posts on each side of the tree about 18" away, end the fence at these posts and fill the gap with chicken wire or some other cheap material.
Dave M.
Earthsunmoonmars wrote:

Is it a decent wooden fence? You could do something creative by placing posts a couple of feet offset from the trunk and using "wing" type panels that come close enough to the tree to provide for your needs (privacy? animal control?). You could also run a "skirt" fence around the tree. (You'd have to give the panels extra support, e.g. with a wire.) You could also allow for future growth by setting a panel in horizontal rails built on your side of the post, allowing you to slide it 3" or so every few years as needed.
Cheapest attractive solution would be straightforward hurricane fence with some kind of ivy.
I wouldn't use the tree as a *post* -- not really good for it in the long run, let alone the fence.