Treating the lawn before the winter

My lawn has been a mess, but has made a bit of a comeback this summer. Bagging everything worked much better than mulching. Still tons of weeds, but much less bare spots.

What should I do to treat it over the winter to make for a nice lawn next spring? Scotts Winterizer? I am in MA.

Thanks,

Bluesman

Reply to
Bluesman

Normally I suggest avoiding Scotts and the big names. They sell what sells not what is best. They want to make the lawn look green fast, but that is not best. They package products like weed and feed together when it would be very rare that both of those products should be put down at the same time.

I do suggest a slow release nitrogen lawn fall-winter product. It happens that the Scotts Winterizer product does fit into that class. It may not be the best (I don't know how much of the nitrogen is slow release) but it does have a good overall mix. I would ask at your garden center if they have something other than Scotts that they might recommend.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Why don't you start by killing off the weeds. Use a liquid hose end spraymix, or if you are mathematically challenged try the premixed stuff and spot spray the devils.

Peter H

Reply to
Peter H

The fall is the best time to improve that lawn. Use a weed killer to eradicate whats left of the weeds, and overseed with new grass seed using a "seed starter" fertilizer only. You could add lime and iron if the ground needs it, but do not use any normal turf strength fertilizers when seeding.

Keep ground moist until new grass reaches mowing height. Keep leaves off new lawn.

Very early spring (when you can see green buds on the Forsythias) use a crabgrass preventer which will also eradicate most of the remaining weed seeds in the lawn.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Good advice, and if he's going to overseed, he should rent a slice seeder to do it quick and right.

Reply to
Chet Hayes