treating ploywood just in case

Hi I had fake brick (faux brick) for the front of the house. They put the fake brick on the plywood without mesh or anything!! just the fake brick and ce ments. We removed all the bricks, now it is only plywood and it is an old o ne and few places are rotten (back) (I will post pictures). I am going to p ut a wood panel (from home depot called Smart panel. it is wood siding basi cally).
My question, should i treat the plywood with something to make it better or fix any damage etc before I put the wood panels? I am not going to put any isolation because the siding of the house which were done the same way, i do not think they use isolation. But my concern now, do I need to treat the plywood with a certain material.
Thanks a lot

You removed the bricks? When? Don't you have a water problem in the laundry room, a unvented dryer, a hole in the floor of the basement landing and a leaky sink?
Shouldn't those take priority over dealing with a cosmetic issue like replacing fake brick?
DerbyDad03 wrote:

Hi, Way back I remember OP was buying this house 'cause it was cheap. Now after thought, all this works going on , was the house worth it for the price? Time is money, material costs money, If plywood had rotten spots, you have to rip it out. Isolation? You mean insulation? On that house is there anything in good shape?
On Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:36:48 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

ke brick on the plywood without mesh or anything!! just the fake brick and cements. We removed all the bricks, now it is only plywood and it is an old one and few places are rotten (back) (I will post pictures). I am going to put a wood panel (from home depot called Smart panel. it is wood siding ba sically).

or fix any damage etc before I put the wood panels?
If the plywood is rotted, then of course you have to replace the rotted sections, unless you want the new siding to fall off. Tyvek should go over the plywood before the new siding goes on.
I am not going to put any isolation because the siding of the house which were done the same way, i do not think they use isolation.
Hopefully there is insulation and a vapor barrier in the wall cavity. But from what we've seen so far, I wouldn't bet on it. That is how it should be done. I guess if there isn't any or there isn't enough, you could put some kind of rigid insulation under the siding, but I have no experience with that. Plus, I would think it would create all kinds of problems, like how do you deal with the increased thickness, ie siding will not line up with windows, doors, etc.
But my concern now, do I need to treat the plywood with a certain material .

No, you don't treat it. Typically, CDX grade plywood or OSB is used. But I'd say one thing that should be determined is in the areas where the plywood failed, why did it fail? If it was because the faux brick wasn't installed correctly and let water in, then you're fixing that. If it rotted for some other reason, that hasn't been addressed, then it needs to be, otherwise the new plywood will rot too. Bottom line, if the construction is done correctly, plywood is protected and won't rot. I just pulled some siding off my house, at 30 years, the sheathing is still perfect.

< http://www2.dupont.com/Tyvek/en_US/index.html
As long as the siding you buy is exterior rated, you should be ok due to ou tside moisture.
But I would worrry about winter moisture from inside the house collecting o n the back side of your new siding. So, I would definitely paint the back side of the new siding with an exterior grade paint just to protect it from any moisture that may collect during the cold winter months.
On Monday, July 22, 2013 12:16:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

outside moisture.

on the back side of your new siding. So, I would definitely paint the bac k side of the new siding with an exterior grade paint just to protect it fr om any moisture that may collect during the cold winter months.
Great! thanks a lot. Do you recommend any paint? should i paint the plywood with the same paint? thanks a lot.
On Monday, July 22, 2013 12:16:02 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

outside moisture.

on the back side of your new siding. So, I would definitely paint the bac k side of the new siding with an exterior grade paint just to protect it fr om any moisture that may collect during the cold winter months.
That's what the vapor barrier that comes before the insulation in the walls are for. And then you have Tyvek between the sheating and siding.
On Sunday, July 21, 2013 10:36:48 PM UTC-4, leza wang wrote:

ke brick on the plywood without mesh or anything!! just the fake brick and cements. We removed all the bricks, now it is only plywood and it is an old one and few places are rotten (back) (I will post pictures). I am going to put a wood panel (from home depot called Smart panel. it is wood siding ba sically).

or fix any damage etc before I put the wood panels? I am not going to put a ny isolation because the siding of the house which were done the same way, i do not think they use isolation. But my concern now, do I need to treat t he plywood with a certain material.

this is the picture of the front now
http://tinypic.com/r/znnaqe/5
leza wang wrote:

From the photo, it doesn't look too bad. Where are the parts that are water-damaged? Are they right under the window sill, or maybe someplace else?
If the damage is under the window sill, it could be the window that is leaking and allowing water to get in. If it is up high near the roof line, maybe it is due to water getting in from a roof leak.
It looks like the siding that you are going to put up is called SmartSide: http://www.homedepot.com/p/SmartSide-96-in-Composite-Panel-27874/100055901 .
It says that it is some type of "composite" material, but I don't know what that means exactly.
My hunch is that using something like Tyvek underneath as a vapor barrier as others suggested may be the best idea instead of any type of paint etc.
product
But we don't know if there is any vapor barrier between the wall that we ca n see and the inside of the house. If there is no vapor barrier, moisture will build up somewhere inside the wall in the winter. I don't know how to tell Leza how to tell if there is a vapor barrier somewhere already or not . Anyone with ideas should tell Leza how to tell if there is a vapor barri er already in place.
On Sunday, July 21, 2013 9:36:48 PM UTC-5, leza wang wrote:

fake brick on the plywood without mesh or anything!! just the fake brick a nd cements. We removed all the bricks, now it is only plywood and it is an old one and few places are rotten (back) (I will post pictures). I am going to put a wood panel (from home depot called Smart panel. it is wood siding basically). My question, should i treat the plywood with something to make it better or fix any damage etc before I put the wood panels? I am not goi ng to put any isolation because the siding of the house which were done the same way, i do not think they use isolation. But my concern now, do I need to treat the plywood with a certain material. Thanks a lot
What Leza calls plywood sure looks to me like particle board which is MUCH less resistant to moisture. Am I seeing things correctly?
On Monday, July 22, 2013 9:44:57 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

he fake brick on the plywood without mesh or anything!! just the fake brick and cements. We removed all the bricks, now it is only plywood and it is a n old one and few places are rotten (back) (I will post pictures). I am goi ng to put a wood panel (from home depot called Smart panel. it is wood sidi ng basically). My question, should i treat the plywood with something to ma ke it better or fix any damage etc before I put the wood panels? I am not g oing to put any isolation because the siding of the house which were done t he same way, i do not think they use isolation. But my concern now, do I ne ed to treat the plywood with a certain material. Thanks a lot

H less resistant to moisture. Am I seeing things correctly?
Yes, I saw that too. It's OSB, not plywood.