Treated lumber and Liquid Nail

I need to build a staircase from treated lumber and I would like to use Liquid Nail along with the screws. Would I really have to let the lumber totally dry first? If not, would it just be a waste of glue?

Reply to
Dan Listermann

Yeah...

She joined an "awareness group" and I was undone.

In my view, there should be a law prohibiting two or more women meeting without a chaperone.

Reply to
HeyBub

I think it would be a waste of time and glue. Use the right screws, use decent lumber, fasten it securely. . . . and in 25 years you can take it all apart and put it on the other side of the house.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

As the lumber dries, it shrinks. Sometimes a lot. Bear that in mind inasmuch as your 8' staircase may only reach seven feet in a month or two.

Reply to
HeyBub

My Dad had some wet pressure treated wood. The stairs were supposed to be about 7 feet tall, and they made em out of wet PT wood. When the wood dried, it shrank. Finally the contractors couldn't understand the problem. Dad took the shrunken stairs, and took em to the contractor, in a paper grocery bag. Set em on the desk and pointed to em.

Yeah, let the wood dry first.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

If you wait for the wood to dry, you'll be waiting at least six months. And that's if you keep it indoors, stickered, and dry. Treated wood is so wet that driving screws into it makes puddles.

Wood shrinks mostly across the grain as it dries. The boards get noticeably narrower, but not much shorter.

As long as the wood is dry on the surface, the construction adhesive will stick. There are lots of variations on the adhesive. I haven't seen one specifically for decks, but I wouldn't be surprised to find one. Read the labels, pick the one that sounds most like your application, follow the directions, and you'll do OK. The screws are going to do most of the work anyway.

Hint: Be sure to use the proper screws for your deck, else you'll get stains on the wood and corroded screws.

Reply to
SteveBell

And allow it to split, warp, bow and twist.

Reply to
Phisherman

Good point

Reply to
SteveBell

Take the money you were going to spend on the glue and put it towards stainless steel screws and bolts.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

It looks like their sub floor adhesive will work.

It is supposed to work on wet, frozen and treated wood.

Reply to
Dan Listermann