Travertine Installation assistance

I have an entry way, 6x4. Floor joists on 10" with 1x6 sub and 3/8 oak flooring.
Q1: can I use 1/8 luan over the oak floor and 3/8 trowel and the white thin set to bring the travertine upto the kitchen tile?
Q2: should I use epoxy thin set rather than water thin set?
Thank you;
Rick
Rick Bass wrote:

No. Lauan is the worst thing you could use. Look into Hardibacker board, it's thin and easy to work with. You can use the thin backerboard if you bed it in a layer of thinset. You could also pull the thin oak and use a 1/2" backer board.

No reason to do that. It adds needless expense and complicates the setting of the tile.
RicodJour wrote:

Thank you, sir, for your assistance, I'm now considering pulling the wood floor.