Trash Can / Dust Bin raiders

Hi,
The local wild life where I live had a habit of raiding my dustbins, presumeable looking for a nice bite to eat. They have the technique of knocking over the trash can and then ripping the black trash bag inside after the trash can lid pops open.
Does anyone have a good way at keeping the trash can lid shut when the trash can falls over. I am sort of tired in picking up all the rubbish that is scattered everywhere.
Warmest regards, Mike.

bungie cord between the handles over the lid

Works for me also.

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 02:53:53 -0700, hobbes wrote:

Hahahah raccoons most likely. I used a long bungee around the entire container (Rubbermaid with wheels.) Once they figured out it was futile to knock the bin over they stopped and moved along to the neighbor's bins.

You can install a couple eyelets on the wall and fasten a bungee cord to keep your bins upright. Also, use a bungee cord to keep the lid secure. The fix is not so easy if your wildlife includes bears.

Assuming a regular metal can with handles: I used to run a chain from handle to handle and attach it to itself with a clip.

In addition to bungee cords, spray the area with ammonia. Not too much, just enough to stink it up good.