Trapping smart coons

Got a family of trap wise coons in the garage. They laugh at my best efforts to trap and release in area where its legal to discharge a firearm. Little SOB's are starting to piss me off as the smell rises with the warmer weather. Any suggestions?????????????

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Shoot 'em with a pellet gun?

No, wait, you're in the People's Republic of Canada. I bet you can't buy pellet guns, can you?

Bow and arrow? Slingshot?

Reply to
Doug Miller

i use the havaheart box trap, put a hotdog in there and they cant resistit..lucas

Reply to
ds549

I got rid of a family in a garage with simply a lit piece of paper thrown on the floor. They dont like fire or smoke and left. Perhaps a metal bucket with oil and a rag will make enough smoke. Even a radio left on will drive them out, they need their sleep to.

Reply to
m Ransley

They are smart little buggers but we trap anywhere from 6 to 12 of them every year. But I have no idea how many get away. They tend to frequent the garden when the corn gets just about ready to pick, and the damn critters go after the best ears of corn. We have two 'have-a-heart' cage traps that we set out. They are usually baited with sardines. The traps have two sides that slam shut when the beast steps on the plate in the middle - you know the kind. We always close one side off and bait the thing so that the coon has to cross over the center of the trap to get the bait. We dont really catch and release, it's more of a catch and dump out, if you know what I mean.

CJ

"ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy" wrote in message news:crPke.11044$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...

Reply to
Chip

Especially tuned to a rap station :)

Reply to
dadiOH

Pellet guns and WristRockets are not strong enough.

The only thing that has kept them out of my gardens is a small electric fence. A battery operated one is less that $100. I put it about 8" off the ground outside a 2" mesh fence. The fence was also horizonal to prevent digging under the vertical fence.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Will try and tanx for your suggests. As far as guns and the peeps rupub of Kanada, I am a hunter, own guns and use em, but unlike our mentally challenged american buddies we are smart enough to know that you don't discharge a gun indoors or a densely populated area.

Now go watch any Micheal Moore movie and vote for Dumb-dumb Dubya out of spite for them 'intellectuals' what can read without moving lips.

-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com

Reply to
ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy

Of course, wouldn't want to blow a hole in your igloo.

Reply to
tm

I always used cat food (small tins) as bait but they would get it out and not set off the trap door. Started using wire or ty wraps to hold it in the trap. Use ring pull top cat food, open it about half way, and attach it to the side. They have to struggle with it longer and I seem to catch more

Reply to
Patrick

Do you suppose they are done raising baby racoons? I have them in the crawlspace attic, and worry that I'll be leaving a litter to starve up there somewhere.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Pour some ammonia in the area where they are located. They'll leave !!!

Reply to
TPutmann

Pans of automobile anti freeze. Sweet taste, and turns toxic when digested.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Dead racoons, isn't that the goal here?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Forget about trapping, if she has a litter in your attic. Do the following:

  1. DON'T close up any openings from the attic to the outdoors, just yet.
  2. Set pans of ammonia around the area where you hear activity from the litter or others.
  3. Set up lights and a radio (playing fairly loudly) in the attic area.
  4. Visit the attic a couple times per day, making plenty of noise when you do. DON'T confront the adults, however.

WIth the above, the invaders should be gone within a couple of days. Has worked for us in the past.

Reply to
zxx

Be sure to play RAP music. That will drive both the coons and your family out of the house :)

Reply to
_

Reminds me of a Readers Digest story. The roofer discovered a family of coons living in the chimney and told the house owner. "Why don't you smoke them out?" he suggested. House owner replied., "Tried. They stuffed up the chimney and smoked us out."

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Are you kidding I thought they loved RAP music, you might have a bunch of dancing coons on your hands if you follow this advice?? LOL sorry couldn't (well could have I guess but didn't!) resist.

Reply to
Rich

Not true. Coons like rap music ........

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one)

Reply to
Andy

"Andy" wrote in news:1117326721.616785.166050 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

It's not funny, and your inability to resist making a racist jokes says some very ugly things about you.

Reply to
Bert Byfield