Trapping smart coons

Page 1 of 2
Got a family of trap wise coons in the garage. They laugh at my best efforts to trap and release in area where its legal to discharge a firearm. Little SOB's are starting to piss me off as the smell rises with the warmer weather. Any suggestions?????????????
-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com
Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

Shoot 'em with a pellet gun?
No, wait, you're in the People's Republic of Canada. I bet you can't buy pellet guns, can you?
Bow and arrow? Slingshot?
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Pellet guns and WristRockets are not strong enough.
The only thing that has kept them out of my gardens is a small electric fence. A battery operated one is less that $100. I put it about 8" off the ground outside a 2" mesh fence. The fence was also horizonal to prevent digging under the vertical fence.
i use the havaheart box trap, put a hotdog in there and they cant resistit..lucas
I got rid of a family in a garage with simply a lit piece of paper thrown on the floor. They dont like fire or smoke and left. Perhaps a metal bucket with oil and a rag will make enough smoke. Even a radio left on will drive them out, they need their sleep to.
m Ransley wrote:

Especially tuned to a rap station :)
--
dadiOH
____________________________

It's not funny, and your inability to resist making a racist jokes says some very ugly things about you.
... and you're tendency to look for a fight over an innocent remark about wildlife says a lot about you.....
..... I bet you actually like rap music....
I'm able to resist. I choose not to.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:16:08 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote:

Reminds me of a Readers Digest story. The roofer discovered a family of coons living in the chimney and told the house owner. "Why don't you smoke them out?" he suggested. House owner replied., "Tried. They stuffed up the chimney and smoked us out."
They are smart little buggers but we trap anywhere from 6 to 12 of them every year. But I have no idea how many get away. They tend to frequent the garden when the corn gets just about ready to pick, and the damn critters go after the best ears of corn. We have two 'have-a-heart' cage traps that we set out. They are usually baited with sardines. The traps have two sides that slam shut when the beast steps on the plate in the middle - you know the kind. We always close one side off and bait the thing so that the coon has to cross over the center of the trap to get the bait. We dont really catch and release, it's more of a catch and dump out, if you know what I mean.
CJ
message

Will try and tanx for your suggests. As far as guns and the peeps rupub of Kanada, I am a hunter, own guns and use em, but unlike our mentally challenged american buddies we are smart enough to know that you don't discharge a gun indoors or a densely populated area.
Now go watch any Micheal Moore movie and vote for Dumb-dumb Dubya out of spite for them 'intellectuals' what can read without moving lips.
-- Troweller^nospam^@canada.com
Remove the obvious to reply. Experienced and reliable Concrete Finishing and Synthetic Stucco application in the GTA.

ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy wrote:

Of course, wouldn't want to blow a hole in your igloo.
On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:13:59 -0400, "ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy"

I always used cat food (small tins) as bait but they would get it out and not set off the trap door. Started using wire or ty wraps to hold it in the trap. Use ring pull top cat food, open it about half way, and attach it to the side. They have to struggle with it longer and I seem to catch more

Do you suppose they are done raising baby racoons? I have them in the crawlspace attic, and worry that I'll be leaving a litter to starve up there somewhere.
Dead racoons, isn't that the goal here?
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Tue, 24 May 2005 20:13:59 -0400, "ConcreteFinishing&StuccoGuy"

Pour some ammonia in the area where they are located. They'll leave !!!