Trapping a coon, Hav-a-Heart style

Page 1 of 2
I think we have a whole family at our school. They are playing around on a canopy over a gathering area - it's starting to feel dangerous
Will a Hav-a-Heart trap work? What kind of bait do you use? How far away do you need to transport the raccoon so he does not come back here? Anything else I should know?
Thanks a lot for any help.
Mike

.22 rifle, use low velocity CB loads if noise or range is an issue....
Maker of Rules wrote:

What do you use if cop is an issue?
--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

They are finding food. You might find out how they are getting at the food supply, or the garbage, and shut down their access to it. Can you post a big dog in the area?

I've caught racoons, rabbits, possums, gophers in one of those traps. All without any bait. No, not all the animals were caught at the same time. LOL.
I took all of them to the park/woods about 5 miles away. They like it there, so they don't come back.
mike wrote:

be dangerous. If they are out in daylight its even more dangerous. Raccoons are nocturnal, something is not right when out in day time. Raccoons also can carry rabies.
Yes, the traps will work. They come in different sizes, just ask for the raccoon size at the store. I think Tractor Supply has them, Dicks may or online. You may be able to borrow them from your township animal control too.
To answer your specific questions. bait - PB&J sandwich, cheese, sardines, Kentucky fried chicken bones. Most any kind of food.
Distance - How far is the nearest woodland area where no one will mind if you release? Thats probably far enough if its more than a mile or two.
What else? You want a canvas tarp to put over the trap and use gloves when handling the trap (When the coon is in it). You don't want to get bit or scratched.

And you might want to check with the DNR on the legality of capturing and (especially) transporting them. In most states, they are protected game animals with a posted season requiring a hunting or trapping license. The law may look the other way because of your situation...but then again, they may not. Especially, if they catch you dropping them off in their back yard.

Yes
You betcha.

We are talking about women with a chare card at a mall right?

i use hot dog for bait. works good

You have to kill them regardless of how you catch them. The notion of letting them go somewhere else is a nice thought, but it is not an option.
CWM

Yes.
Peanut butter? Commercial rabbit food?
At least, you should contact the animal control agency for your area. They should have all the answers you need and may well remove the critters FOR you. Good luck!
--
:)
JR

Trap and release is like trying to make a hole in the ocean by bailing from one side of the boat to the other.
Release about 1,000 miles away. I think coons like most any kind of people food.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.

We used to have a racoon that would raid the neighbor's garden and then come to our chimney to go to sleep.
Stormin Mormon wrote:

I just took mine 8 miles away and down a really big hill near a river. It was the size of a baby bear. Now 2 small ones came in the house during the night so it seems I didn't trap the big one soon enough. Maybe they will both get in the trap together!
Targus.

I need a Hav No Heart trap for deer, or I'm gonna be out at 3:00 AM & strangle the bastards with my bare hands.

usually find one that fits your needs. I have a Hav-a-Cow trap. It comes with a teenager screaming at the top of her lungs attachment. I use this when the basement door does not get closed and latched. It comes in most handy with poor unsuspecting black snakes. The last one actually looked at me then shook its head in pity when I took it back out to the wood pile where it could be more comfortable. Last Friday I got a Hav-A-Heart Attack/Seizure-Then-Sprain-My-Ankle Trap for the hornets nest that appeared in the garden over night. It has no remote control, but seems to work better the louder you yell F**k while running towards the pond. It causes family members to laugh uncontrollably while watching from the kitchen window. This brings us to the ones I keep in the house. We have a Hav-You-Forgotten-Our-Last-Discussion? Trap. My wife uses it most of the time with mixed results. God help me if she ever figures out the proper technique. The Hav-I-Got-Any-Clean-Socks Trap hasn't been used in a couple of weeks. I spring it on my wife from time to time, just to see if she's awake. It has never worked. I don't know why I use it, because the noise it makes could wake the dead. It causes my wife's lips to flap up and down really fast, and the vein in her forehead to bulge. The only thing ever caught with it is hell. I may have to substitute the Hav-You-No-Sense-Of-Responsibility? Trap on the kids to fill the gap. I also acquired a "Hav-a-Heart-Turned-To-A-Bloody-Pulp" trap that comes in sizes just big enough to load in a .30-.06 Winchester. When used remotely, it can lure anything smaller than an elephant from a range of 100 to 300 yards. One drawback is that it doesn't work well at all on hornets or blacksnakes. I see lots of other traps at the grocery store, the post office, the gas station, and various other places. I have learned to borrow one I like for a short period of time before I buy into it. It is mildly entertaining, and certainly cheaper than hiring a professional!
Traps come in various styles, and with a minimum amount of shopping, you can usually find one that fits your needs. I have a Hav-a-Cow trap. It comes with a teenager screaming at the top of her lungs attachment. I use this when the basement door does not get closed and latched. CY: Do you know where I can get a Hav-A-Friek atachment that closes refrigerator doors?
It comes in most handy with poor unsuspecting black snakes. The last one actually looked at me then shook its head in pity when I took it back out to the wood pile where it could be more comfortable. CY: Baited with watermellon and jive CDs, you can get different types of snakes.
Last Friday I got a Hav-A-Heart Attack/Seizure-Then-Sprain-My-Ankle Trap for the hornets nest that appeared in the garden over night. It has no remote control, but seems to work better the louder you yell F**k while running towards the pond. It causes family members to laugh uncontrollably while watching from the kitchen window. CY: ARe you sure one of the family members wasn't pushing the buttons on the Remote Control Hav-A-Wasp nest? New batteries, and almost 100 foot range.
This brings us to the ones I keep in the house. We have a Hav-You-Forgotten-Our-Last-Discussion? Trap. My wife uses it most of the time with mixed results. God help me if she ever figures out the proper technique. CY: And the close relative, the Hav-You-Got-what-I-Asked trap, usually when the man is coming home from work or sports.
The Hav-I-Got-Any-Clean-Socks Trap hasn't been used in a couple of weeks. I spring it on my wife from time to time, just to see if she's awake. It has never worked. I don't know why I use it, because the noise it makes could wake the dead. It causes my wife's lips to flap up and down really fast, and the vein in her forehead to bulge. The only thing ever caught with it is hell. CY: Doesn't that one end up with you trapped in an upside down laundry basket?
I may have to substitute the Hav-You-No-Sense-Of-Responsibility? Trap on the kids to fill the gap. CY: Bet the folks at the Gap love you when you try to rescind their credit card.
I also acquired a "Hav-a-Heart-Turned-To-A-Bloody-Pulp" trap that comes in sizes just big enough to load in a .30-.06 Winchester. When used remotely, it can lure anything smaller than an elephant from a range of 100 to 300 yards. CY: I usually use hollow point, Hav-A-Exploding-Heart device, less of a trap than a device.
One drawback is that it doesn't work well at all on hornets or blacksnakes. CY: Ah, but that's why the extended range. That's the time when you use the Hav trap while your upset spouse is walking past the hornets nest. That's the Hav-I-Got-You-Back-Lately trap.
I see lots of other traps at the grocery store, the post office, the gas station, and various other places. I have learned to borrow one I like for a short period of time before I buy into it. It is mildly entertaining, and certainly cheaper than hiring a professional! CY: The one at the grand parents house is especially funny with the kids. You know, the Hav-A-Turn-Pulling-My-Finger trap. Use with adequate ventilation.
Crunchy cat food will attract raccoons into a trap.
In Washington state, it's illegal to transport a raccoon because they are a nuisance animal. I'm going to transport anyway because the Governor had theirs caught and released. The regulations say that any raccoon caught must be shot in the head or drowned. I just can't do that yet. But mice, I can stomp them without any remorse because I've had a mouse plague once before.
Good luck.
Targus
Take it to the Governors' house...