Transporting 20 gallons of gas in your trunk and storing in your back yard in the open air question

Page 7 of 8

-snip-

Just curious-- Do you ever weld, solder, grind, hammer metallic things, or use power tools at that workbench?
I keep a 10-20 gallons gas in my garage, too-- but it is in a no-work zone between two garage doors. Even at that I think I would be smart to move it to its own little shed.
Jim

the end of that bench. That bench is really 8' x 1 "x 6" boards I tied into the studs with 3 1" x 4" supports cut with 45 degree miters from the studs to the outer edges providing support. Extra lumber I had around. Real strong and open underneath except for the 3 angled supports. Good place to roll my floor jack out of the way, store jack stands and those jugs. Sparks shouldn't get near the gas jugs, but now that you've mentioned it, I could get them away from there, and will. Thanks. But I'm not moving my kerosene jugs!

I feel pretty much the same, but never smelled fumes, and the jugs have never popped a vent open. Now you've got me thinking that getting a little shed would be a good idea.
--Vic

I hate two words. Should and probably.
Steve
Steve B wrote:

They're different.
"Should" implies a moral and superiority judgment on the part of one's self-appointed betters.
"Probably" is a dispassionate evaluation of the circumstances by a logical mind.

Could just indicate indecision.

Unless it's just indecision. Anyway, I avoided both words - until now (-: A friend would sometimes answer a question with "Maybe I might." He just couldn't make up his mind.
--Vic
wrote

Now I hate them even more. AND you.
Just kidding about the second part.
Steve
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:06:16 -0700, Steve B wrote:

Looking for the law, as far as I can see, California regulates "cargo tanks" which are defined as being over 120 gallons in capacity: http://law.justia.com/california/codes/veh/34000-34006.html
I just can't find a law in California for transportation of 5-gallon portable gasoline containers in the trunk of a car yet.

And I imagine one would have to be a DOT certified and licensed transport company to haul such tanks.
Steve
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:06:16 -0700, "Steve B"

Should we change "should" to shall?
Probably not, but we _ought_ too!
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 09:29:29 -0700, in alt.home.repair, "Steve B"

I should probably hate them too.
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
Vic Smith wrote:

We kept 5 gallons of gas on hand to replenish the 6-gallon tank on the generator. Seemed sufficient.
Then Hurricane Yikes came along and knocked 4 million people in our city into the no-power zone, including every gas station for fifty miles! For TEN FREAKIN' DAYS!
I now have a LOT of six-gallon gas cans.
The next time a hurricane heads this way, I'm gonna fill every blessed one of them! I'll stack 'em in the garage along with lawn chairs, pot plants, garbage cans, the dog, and anything else that might blow away in 80 mph winds. If the door-to-door gas-can inspector comes by, I'll lie or plead exigent circumstances.

Hehe. Those with generators and hurricanes have to look at it differently. Once electricity goes out widespread, everything is shot to hell. Had a 2 day outage here once. Seemed like the end of the world. Personally, I'd probably prefer just getting out of town to someplace civilized when such an outage happened, but you do what you gotta do.
--Vic
On Jul 22, 8:48am, Judy Zappacosta <zappajNOS...@Use-Author-Supplied- Address.invalid> wrote:

That's not illegal, dumbass. Pay attention.
Gas must be transported in an open vehicle (i.e. pickup truck bed), or in an enclosed area separate from the passenger compartment (i.e. a car trunk).
It is illegal to haul gas in a vehicle that does NOT have a compartment separate from the passengers. Vehicles like a minivan, or SUV, or station wagon.
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 05:06:43 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

Laws differ by state. I'm just trying to find the details of "that law" you quote.
Just as leaving your vehicle for the purpose of refueling is illegal in some states (NJ for example); or placing anything, like a GPS, on your windshield is illegal in some states (California, for example); and having your OBDII DTC codes scanned for free by the auto parts stores is illegal in some states (Hawaii, for example); and using a radar detector is illegal in some states (Virginia?) ... gasoline temporary storage and transportation laws are certain to differ in various states.
Isn't there a single California lawyer on the USENET?
Can anyone find a California law that regulates the storage and transportation of 5-gallon jugs of gasoline for personal use?

Do they have vent holes and/or pour spouts? If so, take the spouts out and loosen take off the vent cap. I had a gas can (1 gallon for the mower) that I didn't do that when I got gas at the beginning of the year. Once it warmed up, the vapour pressure forced the gas out the top even though it was tightly sealed. There was a gasoline smell for two days and it could easily have lit from open flame. If your neighbour had smelled that.. Well who wants the fire dept. and city on their tail?
BTW I live in Ontario on the other side of the border. Far farther north than you, so less heat and different laws. We have red plastic cans here.
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 02:43:09 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar wrote:

They are certified EPA spillproof leakproof kidproof red plastic gasoline cans. Gas goes in. Never comes out.
The only opening is the spout. It has special "engineering" to not let the gas out. Gas only develops about 20psi when heated under the hot sun so that's not enough to blow up the can (http://www.blitzusa.com/faq.htm ).
There was a test of the Blitz cans on the web (gotta dig for it) which showed absolutely zero weight loss (they measure weight not volume) for a can out in the sun for a year IIRC. When compared to the "vented" can, the Blitz won.
Of course, it's a B*TC* to get the gasoline OUT of the can, but that's a whole nother topic.

awards I'd bet.
--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

Bill Murphy wrote:

Just how smart is this neighbor? Free gas and you ought to put a case of beer with it.

Yes it is dangerous to keep that much gasoline stored in your backyard... Especially in gas cans... You never know what is going to happen to it, rather than it falling prey to some sort of spontaneous combustion, it is more likely that it will get spilled by someone creating a hazardous materials incident, or that it will be stolen, tampered with by someone adding something which will hurt your engines to it, or it could be set on fire as an act of arson/vandalism... You would be liable for leaving this gasoline out as at "attractive nuisance" if someone were to spill it or make use of it for arson...
If you want to store and haul more than 20 gallons of fuel at a time -- here is a question: I assume that you have some sort of a pick up truck to haul around your bikes and off-road vehicles... Yes ?
Purchase a "fuel transfer tank" for the bed of your pick-up truck... Like one of these:
http://www.nextag.com/pickup-bed-fuel-tank/products-html
You will need to obtain a permit for it and have it inspected periodically to transport that much fuel outside of the vehicles actual fuel tank...
That is the best way to go... Rather than having a collection of gasoline containers just hanging around in your yard...
~~ Evan
Actually, the possibility of a leak might be a bigger risk than any fire hazard.
Your neighbor doesn't know how leak proof your containers are. You might be able to prove it to him.
But think about it. If he has a well, and you drip a little gasoline into the groundwater, he just lost his water supply.
Even if no well, if you contaminate the groundwater under his property, he can no longer sell his house. You're probably liable for his property loss as well as an environmental cleanup.
And if you're storing your gasoline perfectly, but the guy before you dripped gasoline into the groundwater, you may have trouble proving it wasn't you.
Of course that's true if you keep your gas cans in the shed too. But your neighbor won't know.