transitions from laminate to ceramic tile

I will be installing Mohawk Seneca laminate flooring in my house. I am on a concrete slab and a couple of places the floor will meet up against existing ceramic tile--the kitchen entrance and the foyer.

I have not purchased any transitions yet, but I am wondering how much gap to leave between the two types of flooring. The instructions for the laminate says to leave 1/4 inch for the underlayment and 1/2 inch distance from the walls. There is no mention of transitions. My wife is talking about marble transitions. Is this something recommended?

Reply to
badgolferman

Pergo, Armstrong, and others make transition strips that allow for necessary space between the 2 materials and wrap over the both. Sort of a thin t-strip. The transition strips I've seen come with instructions.

Reply to
AnnG

I just put in Formica laminate with a transition "T" strip. Next time, I'd use the other strip---kinda an end cap of sorts---and put in a very nice wood (or marble theshold). The thin strip stips up over the foor, looks obvious and screams "laminate" (instead of fooling eye for a little longer).

Reply to
BKS

You need to settle on what you are going to use for the transition and how it is going to be installed before you start laying floor. Some of the premade transitions have a nailing flange that go under the laminate. Others are simply a piece of U shaped metal that attaches at the bottom of the U.

To answer your question, but not necessarily correct for your product, my manufacturers said to leave the same gap at the transition base as at the walls. I also choose to use a commercial style soft vinyl strip where the flooring met the tile. I choose this because of the uneven surface and the contrived look of the wooden ones. Super easy to install and cheap.

Reply to
Colbyt