Transfer liquids between bottles

Page 1 of 2
How can I transfer liquids between two narrow-mouthed bottles?
. wrote:

Siphon. Fill a tube with the liquid, put one bottle higher than the other, tube in each.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Yes. Now, how to get it started?
Next, what if the stuff is poison or lye or the like?
Serious questions -- I'd like to know in case I have to some day.
David
If the source bottle is flexible, you may be able to wrap your hand around the neck of the bottle, to seal it. Squeeze the bottle, and the presure will force liquid through the tube.

Yes. Now, how to get it started?
Next, what if the stuff is poison or lye or the like?
Serious questions -- I'd like to know in case I have to some day.
David
On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 00:43:31 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:

If the tube is filled with the liquid, and one end is lower than the other, that will start the siphoning. I wouldn't siphon lye or poisonous liquids, but you can do it using caution. Take some clear aquarium tubing and try it with water to understand how it works. You need a tube more than 2 times longer than the depth of the container you're siphoning from. It has to go to the bottom inside of that container, then loop around past the bottom on the outside of the container. You normally have to make a U-loop with your tube so both sides fill. Then put your finger over one end of the tube, insert the other end to the bottom of container being siphoned. The opening of the empty container has to be lower than the bottom of that container. Put the finger capped end of the tube into the empty container, and take your finger off. Done.
On Sat, 15 Dec 2012 19:43:59 -0600, Vic Smith

<snip>
All of this is almost as bad as the guy who uses his cellphone and types in a text message to contact his buddy, who is sitting at the other end of the bar.
Just use frikkin funnel, for crying out loud. Why does everything have to be high tech these days??? I swear, we live in a generation of idiots.....

Get a siphon hose Long hose with a bulb at one end that does the sucking Target container needs to be lower than the source
On 12/15/2012 06:43 PM, David Combs wrote:

Wait until Friday :-)

On Friday, October 26, 2012 8:40:50 AM UTC-7, . wrote:

Think of Old Spice Aftershave bottles; they have very small mouths.
On Friday, October 26, 2012 11:53:25 AM UTC-4, . wrote:

Some grocery/department stores will have sets of very small funnels in their kitchenware departments. If the liquid is fairly thin, you can siphon with aquarium tubing. If the bottles are not too deep or oddly shaped a basting syringe would be an option.

Funnel in the lower bottle.
We need more information, please.
How can I transfer liquids between two narrow-mouthed bottles?
On Friday, October 26, 2012 8:40:50 AM UTC-7, . wrote:

Solved! (I found a plastic squeeze bottle. I poured the liquid from one Old Spice Aftershave bottle into the squeeze bottle. I then transferred the liquid from the squeeze bottle to the other Old Spice Aftershave bottle).

Sounds good. In the future, the old chemist's trick is to put a rod of some sort into the receiving vessel, and pour from the source vessel onto the rod. The liquid will tend to cling to the rod and will go right into the narrow-mouthed receptacle. In your case, the rod can be as simple as a drinking straw.
Art

Spice Aftershave bottle into the squeeze bottle. I then transferred the liquid from the squeeze bottle to the other Old Spice Aftershave bottle). Wait a minute, you changed it. You said 2 bottles, and you used 3. No fair.
On 10/26/2012 11:37 AM, Vic Smith wrote:

Spice Aftershave bottle into the squeeze bottle. I then transferred the liquid from the squeeze bottle to the other Old Spice Aftershave bottle).

It's a case of the imaginary "only". He said 2 bottles, nothing about having no more available. The problem was not changed.
BTW, it it's sticky liquid, some will be lost in that plastic squeeze bottle.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us

Some will be lost in the squeeze bottle whether it's thick or thin. It's only the amount that will be different.
Here's an old cooking trick to use with molasses:
Coat the measuring spoon or cup with cooking oil before pouring the molasses in. The molasses with slide right off into your mixing bowl.
On 10/26/2012 02:03 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[snip]

Right.
--
Mark Lloyd