Trane -- House inspection -- Maximum Breaker Size

We had a new house inspected yesterday and one of the comments was that the breaker to the unit was rated at 40 Amps. The inspector said that an electrician will say it is fine, but that Trane's maximum is 35 Amps and going over it means that if there's a problem in the unit, it potentially won't trip the breaker.

Is this much ado about nothing or should it be fixed? (Note: my numbers may be off, but he did indicate the breaker takes more of a load than Trane recommends). I believe the unit is a TR11 or XL11 (something with an 11 in it).

Reply to
crutnacker

Yes it should be fixed. 35 amps is a standard breaker size, but you'll probably have to go to an electric supply house to get one. I'm impressed that a home inspector caught it. This post crossposted back to AHR so as not to offend boy Pauly.

Reply to
volts500

Hey a GREAT HOME INSPECTOR! Good catch too bad more arent that good:(

Definetely replace that breaker!

Reply to
hallerb

I am not sure where you shop, but in 30 plus years I have never seen a 35 amp RESIDENTIAL breaker. I do so little residential that it is possible. A quick google for square dog proved no such animal.

A fused disconnect at the unit with 35 amp time delay fuses would solve the problem. Sadly most contractors use the damn pullouts now days instead of a fused disconnect. If indeed the infector is right. Have you actually looked on the unit yourself? All a/c units say min and max circuit capacity.

What does the local jurisdiction have to say? You said new house, or is it just new to you?

If there is a problem with the compressor it will indeed trip a 40 amp breaker.

Reply to
SQLit

{9B1821DF-1898-4FA3-90EC-0B0D1FEFAEVERESTBC2}&ic=QO235H-R

Reply to
RBM

Try this;

Noon-Air

Actually, if the unit calls for a Maximum Fuse OR breaker size of 35 amps, a 35 amp fused disconnect at the outdoor unot will do fine. If the unit nameplate says maximum breaker size (without mentioning a fuse size), then you must use a 35 amp breaker.

I carry the 15 and 25 and the 35 amp Square D, GE, and Homeline breakers on my truck for just that purpose. These are residential plug in breakers, 2 pole. Not the screw in commercial types. The big box stores don't always have them, but I get them easily at electrical supply houses.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch