Trane Heat Pump Problems

Last spring I had a new Trane Gas Furnce with AC/Heat Pump installed. It worked great until it was time to turn the heat on in the fall. The heat pump would come on, however the air wasn't warm. I called the installer and he came out and thought there was a defective valve in the outside unit. He replaced that and the air still was not warm. So after some looking around he said there was a valve in the unit above the furnace that was incorrectly installed at the factory and he replaced it. He said that the freon would circulate in one direction for cooling and the other for heating. He said the valve allowed for cooling and not for heating. He said it was set-up for an AC unit outside but it should have been swapped with another type valve when used with a heat pump. So he replaced that valve and everything seems to work OK. My question is did running the unit for heat and having the incorrect vavle not allowing the freon to move in the proper direction hurt the unit?

Today it is 60 degrees and whenever I turn the heat up only the gas furnace comes on and not the heat pump. So I have to call the installer again. Having spent 15 years with a Carrier lemon it seems I'm headed down the path again of a troublesome heating system.

Thanx for any insight! jocobe

Reply to
jocobe

Sounds like a hack.

I'd call the owner of the HVAC company that did the original installation and express your concern about the capabilities of the tech. Ask him to send his best technician out to inspect the installation and make any necessary repairs. If you don't get satisfaction, call the local Trane distributor and ask for a factory tech's assistance.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

It sounds like your tech is a PPR (Professional Parts Replacer). You need a new tech or a new contractor. He should not have to guess what is wrong, then keep replacing parts till it works. If he is the same guy who worked on the Carrier "Lemon", then that clinches it. He doesn't know what he is doing. (Guessing Are Us!)

Stretch

Reply to
stretch