Trane fan "On" for outside air?

Page 2 of 3

You can say that again. I am used to seeing one or two idiots show up but this is a record catch we have going.
Harry K -------------
With guys named Chris and Harry leading the pack...

<plonk> an idiot Harry K

<plonk> an idiot Harry K
Likewise
*click*
Thousands of usene readers across the world. Now have been informed that one each, poster, will no longer appear on one, each, computer screen.
What a waste of bandwidth. Can I play? I had a fried red hot on sliced white bread for dinner tonight. Does anyone care?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Could not unencrypt your posting.

Translates roughly as "Who f'ing cares?"
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Stormy, When you get done with that big rock and bashing your head in, let me know. I need to give it to Harry K. He needs it as much as you. Bubba
<plonk> an idiot
You're to funny to plonk...

Come by my house and I will demonstrate it. In addition to the effect Mr. Hoffman posted, there is the 'moving air' effedt that keeps one comfortable at a higher temp than the AC is set at. Of course when it is time to turn on the AC, there is an additional few degree load for the machine to cool.
I have also considered making a basement floor level return air registger into the duct work. A full basement of very cool air is going to waste.
BTW. I suggest you just miiiigggghttt try somethign before calling a person 'nuts'
Harry K

Come by my house and I will demonstrate it. In addition to the effect Mr. Hoffman posted, there is the 'moving air' effedt that keeps one comfortable at a higher temp than the AC is set at. Of course when it is time to turn on the AC, there is an additional few degree load for the machine to cool.
I have also considered making a basement floor level return air registger into the duct work. A full basement of very cool air is going to waste.
BTW. I suggest you just miiiigggghttt try somethign before calling a person 'nuts'
<sigh> another google poster.... try that down here in the deep south. First off we don't have basements, second if you want to run your power bill up, go ahead on, 3rd, it will also raise the humidity level in your home and make it even more uncomfortable. Here is a little physics question for you... If you have a 10 x 12 room with 8ft ceiling, and its 80 degrees with 70% RH, how many btus of latent heat do you have.... now run the same calc at 75 degrees @ 50% RH.....How much electricity are you going to use to keep that room cool?? now tell me you just want to run the fan. Its a whole lot more cost effective to *MAINTAIN* a constant even temperature, than it is to have wild temperature swings.

Be careful of putting a return in the basement. You must have an equal supply if youre heating system in there. A return in a space with a natural draft or induced draft appliance can back draft the appliance. This is also against code.
The second issue is pulling warm moist air into a space cool enough to cause higher humidity or even condensation in the basement. This can cause mold to grow.
Andy

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..
The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the start of the AC. Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. In my case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it "on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't too hot outside.
Do a little homework sport, running the fan in summer in "ON" will actaully raise the humidity level in your home, and make you more uncomfortable.

Says another person who "I know what I know and don't confuse me with facts!" You might be right about the south (I been there too damn many years to ever want to go back), but I am not in the south. It works up here.
The humidity level in a house will be about static whether you are running that fan or not. The fan does not 'create' humidity.
So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.
Harry K

Running the A/C is removing heat from the area. Running a blower motor only adds heat to the area.
So YES, running the A/C is the better choice. Unless you like to waste money.

Especially if your ductwork is in the attic!

wCare to measure just how much heat a fractional horse motor would add? Still comes down to the difference between the cost of the fan and the cost of the compressor - fan wins as long as the house is at a comfort level.
Harry K

A motor can add 1000 + watts (which is heat) to your home. That's HEAT, no matter how you cut it.
Running a compressor REMOVES heat, that's money well spent, if you want to cool your home.
I suggest you get a clue, before you start argueing over matters which you don't understand.

:Says another person who "I know what I know and don't confuse me with :facts!" You might be right about the south (I been there too damn :many years to ever want to go back), but I am not in the south. It :works up here.
Do some quantitative testing...run a graph on simular days with simular heat and RH, plot them with both A/C, and fan only, then come talk to me.
:The humidity level in a house will be about static whether you are :running that fan or not. The fan does not 'create' humidity.
Actually that is incorrect. The RH in a home is always changing, unless you never run water, you never sweat, you never cook, you never bathe, you seal up the commodes, have no house plants, or people or pets living there, then there is the residual condensate on the evap coils that gets put back in the air when running the fan only.
:So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than :running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.
If you have a new, high efficiency system. the cost to operate is negligible, and the comfort level is much higher. OTOH, if you have a system that is more than 20 years old, and your just trying to cheap out, then all bets are off. Either way, your the one that has to live with it, and *my* home is comfortable.

OK if you want to nit pick. The humidity level is what it is when the fan turns on. Turning on the fan does not change it. Is that clearer?

So I can run a 'high efficiency" 3 hp motor at "minimum cost'? Wow! Glad to know that. And just how does that 'minimum cost' comapre to a fractional hourse fan motor that is ALSO in a 'high efficiency' system? BTW my system is less than 10 years old and yes it is a high efficiency model. Change out from a system that was probably built back in the 40s.

Well goody for you. Did you somehow miss that *my* house is also comfortable? It works for me and I prefer the comfort given with the fan to listening to the AC give the same comfort at additional cost.
Harry K

Energy to run a motor is heat, no matter what you want to think.