Trane fan "On" for outside air?

Concerning the electric thermostat that controls my Trane furnace and air conditioner, if I change my fan switch from "Auto" to "On" (so that it runs continuously), is it pulling in air from outside or just circulating the air already in the house? In other words, is running the fan a good way to cool the house at night when the air temp. outside is a good 15 degrees cooler than inside?

Thanks.

Reply to
MNRebecca

Setting the thermostat "fan setting" to the "On" position runs the blower

24/7, as it circulates indoor air.
Reply to
KJPRO

It just runs the fan the same as in auto. It recirculates the air in the house. It will not change anything so it will not bring any outside air into the house.

In other words, no.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

If the outside temperature is that much cooler at night than your home, you might want to consider getting a window fan to bring cool air in at night.

Don

Reply to
freckles

Rats. But thanks for the info, everybody.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Rebecca Webb

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..

The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the start of the AC. Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. In my case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it "on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't too hot outside.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

It has nothing to do with the thermostat. What happens exactly, is dependant on the actual configuration of the HVAC equipment in your house.

Reply to
EXT

You are absolutely nuttier than a fruit cake Harry if you think that is true. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Harry is right. Turning the fan "ON" will circulate the cooler air that sinks to the lowest level of the house and cool the upper levels while heating up the lower levels. So, it depends on where the thermostat is located. In my 4-level split, the thermostat is on the third level up, and running the fan "ON" cools it down about 2 degrees while heating up the lower levels, and does delay turning the compressor on by an hour or two.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Reply to
TS02_05champ

Come by my house and I will demonstrate it. In addition to the effect Mr. Hoffman posted, there is the 'moving air' effedt that keeps one comfortable at a higher temp than the AC is set at. Of course when it is time to turn on the AC, there is an additional few degree load for the machine to cool.

I have also considered making a basement floor level return air registger into the duct work. A full basement of very cool air is going to waste.

BTW. I suggest you just miiiigggghttt try somethign before calling a person 'nuts'

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

You already got the 'bad' news that it only circulates house air but..

The good news is that running it 'on' will significantly delay the start of the AC. Much cheaper to run that fan than the AC. In my case, when it becomes a bit uncomfortable in the house, putting it "on" will keep the AC from running for another hour or two if it isn't too hot outside.

Do a little homework sport, running the fan in summer in "ON" will actaully raise the humidity level in your home, and make you more uncomfortable.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Come by my house and I will demonstrate it. In addition to the effect Mr. Hoffman posted, there is the 'moving air' effedt that keeps one comfortable at a higher temp than the AC is set at. Of course when it is time to turn on the AC, there is an additional few degree load for the machine to cool.

I have also considered making a basement floor level return air registger into the duct work. A full basement of very cool air is going to waste.

BTW. I suggest you just miiiigggghttt try somethign before calling a person 'nuts'

another google poster.... try that down here in the deep south. First off we don't have basements, second if you want to run your power bill up, go ahead on, 3rd, it will also raise the humidity level in your home and make it even more uncomfortable. Here is a little physics question for you... If you have a 10 x 12 room with 8ft ceiling, and its 80 degrees with

70% RH, how many btus of latent heat do you have.... now run the same calc at 75 degrees @ 50% RH.....How much electricity are you going to use to keep that room cool?? now tell me you just want to run the fan. Its a whole lot more cost effective to *MAINTAIN* a constant even temperature, than it is to have wild temperature swings.
Reply to
Noon-Air

You and Harry are clueless. As Noon said, it will raise the humidity level. Also, trying to pull that cool air from the basement will reduce the ability of your system to be able to remove the warm air from a first and second floor. Air will take the path of least resistance and you will remove no warm air from your upper levels. You two should really get a clue before you start babbling Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Says another person who "I know what I know and don't confuse me with facts!" You might be right about the south (I been there too damn many years to ever want to go back), but I am not in the south. It works up here.

The humidity level in a house will be about static whether you are running that fan or not. The fan does not 'create' humidity.

So to your mind, running a fractional horse fan is more expensive than running a multihorse compressor....uhuh.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

And who said anythign about pulling cool air from the basement? Yes, I mentioned it as a _possible_ thing to try but that has nothing to do with what either of us has attempted to explain to you. But then your handle pretty much explains you 'Bubba'.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Read your next sentence...

That's Priceless...

Reply to
KJPRO

Running the A/C is removing heat from the area. Running a blower motor only adds heat to the area.

So YES, running the A/C is the better choice. Unless you like to waste money.

Reply to
KJPRO

Especially if your ductwork is in the attic!

Reply to
Ron

So does yours, Hairy. ;-)

** Posted from