Trailer Roof Insullation

Stormin, I would use fiberglass, not that chopped up newspaper crap they call cellulose insulation. It can be blown into that space. Look in the yellow pages and see if you can find an insulation company that specializes in insulating hard to access places. I did that about 9 years ago. I cut openings in the tops of the outside walls on either end, and we taped the insulation blower hose to about 30 feet of 3/4" pipe to use as a long handle. They carefully inserted the hose all the way in through the opening, and slowly moved it side to side as they pulled it out. I am sure they were not able to get 100% coverage, but the did manage to get a bunch of insulation in. They showed up in a pickup full of bags on insulation and a trailer mounted machine-- they had only a few bags left over afterward. Cost was $300. MH was slilghtly smaller than yours-- 12x63. I did use cellulose (didn't know any better then), and have had no problems at all. However, the MH was over-roofed with R panel, so virtually no chance of any leaks. If cellulose ever gets wet, you can have serious mold problems. BTW,the insulation made a huge difference in heating and cooling. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

Yes, I did google. What I found was some roll on stuff in ten foot wide pieces, and cost about two grand.

I live in a 14 x 65 trailer. I finally cut a small poke hole in the ceiling, there is 4 inches space between the top of the ceiling board, and the tin roof. Is that enough to blow some cellulose?

Would be nice to find some UV resistant bubble wrap I could roll on, with some tar to hold it down. What else can be done?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote

That's a half inch more than typical 2"x4" wall. Keep in mind, you will have to poke a hole to fill each cavity. First I would want to get an idea b/4 poking holes, exactly how it's constructed, and _if_ there's already insulation there. You should be able to reach about an R-15 value using this stuff (sold widely around here, your area may differ). That's not a whole lot of insulation for ceiling, but it sure would beat none.

josh

Read the warning label on the cellulose package.

Pay particular attention to the metal corrosion statement.

Reply to
Colbyt